[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Moving... Would Appreciate Input

• Advertisement

Moving... Would Appreciate Input

Discuss freelance writing and content mill site alternatives to Demand Media Studios.

Moving... Would Appreciate Input

Postby Scribe On Demand » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:08 am

So... in light of some serious and dramatic changes in my life, I am looking to move to the San Francisco Bay area in the next year. I was hoping my lovelies here at DSS might have suggestions/comments/stories to tell about the area and about long distance moves. I've never moved over a hundred miles before, so the whole idea is fairly daunting.

I know one of you just moved to Texas (sorry, I'm half asleep and I remember a kitty was a source of concern) and a few have moved about internationally so I figured this was a good place to ask.

Thanks, guys. :mrgreen:
2012 - Year of the Lioness

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupid.
Scribe On Demand

Advertisement

Re: Moving... Would Appreciate Input

Postby disgruntled » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:35 am

Stock up on sunblock and learn to rollerblade ;)

It'd be easier to give advice if you can say how you're planning on getting there and how far you have to go. We assume that you might be driving a truck or U-Haul?

Honestly, though, we the piggies think moving is pretty simple. You get rid of everything you can possibly live without and put everything else in boxes. Then either ship the boxes or take 'em with you. We've done both international and domestic moves, and as long as you lighten the load as much as possible, then lighten it some more, then remember to LABEL THE PACKED BOXES, you'll be fine. Oh, and pack one box or bag with everything you need for the duration of the move, including lead-in and unpacking time--think of it like a backpacking trip--and keep that bag/box close. That way you won't have to constantly dig things out of boxes and then put them back again.
disgruntled

Postby Scribe On Demand » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:06 am

Well, I have moved 10 times in 10 years, so I know how to move, Piggies. :D I appreciate the input, though, and do always forget that "open immediately!" box full of toilet paper, toothbrushes, deodorant and the like.

It's more the distance (close to 600 miles for me) and the fact that I don't know the area that well that kinda scares me. I mean, how much does a move like that cost? And how the hell do you find a job long-distance like this?

There should be a manual, dammit.

Scribe On Demand

Postby alice » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:21 am

Use Craigslist to find a job. Everything in the SF Bay Area is done through Craigslist, which got its start in Berkeley and is now in SF.

Also, you can skip bringing the sunblock unless you are moving east of the East Bay hills. Bring an extra sweater instead. ;)

I recently did a long-distance move and ended up bringing nothing with me except about ten boxes worth of stuff that I mailed through the post office. That was because of a series of crazy circumstances, and I don't recommend it for most people -- but it as a cheap way to move, especially if you're flying, not driving, from Point A to Point B. Another thing I've heard people do which is supposed to be cheaper than getting a long-distance moving van is ship their stuff via Amtrak, but I'm not sure how that works.
alice

Postby Page1News » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:20 am

You moving by yourself? I moved from one coast to the other all by myself. Attached the biggest the U-haul I could hitch to my bumper and drove across the country. The only thing I worried about was someone unhooking my U-haul truck and stealing it when I stayed at hotels. If you do it that way, just get a one-way truck rental and make sure your drop off place is close to where you'll be living. Of course, now, I would just hire a moving company, but back then, I was only a few years outta college and loved the "Adventures of Moving."

ETA: I landed a newspaper job and rented a cool townhouse, sight unseen. It's scary to do things sight unseen, but if you have an adventurous spirit, you know you can always move to a more desired area after renting for six months.
You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.
Page1News

Postby Scribe On Demand » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:46 pm

Scribe On Demand

Postby disgruntled » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:09 pm

disgruntled

Postby Scribe On Demand » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:40 pm

Scribe On Demand

Postby Page1News » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:01 pm

When my husband and I moved, we rented a one-way moving truck, hooked up his pickup truck to the moving truck, and I drove my car. In the mid-'90s, that cost us about $400 or so, if I recall.

If you have family in the area, have them do some legwork on best school districts and reasonable places to rent/buy. Start looking online at apartment/home rentals or for sale, so you know sticker prices. Pick a good school district and log on to their website to get enrollment information.

When looking for jobs, make sure to tell them in your cover letter that you are relocating to the area. If you can, tell them that you are available for in-person interviews. Some places will fly you out and put you up, others say you're on your own. If you can make a scouting trip, tell companies you will be in the area on such and such dates, and you can schedule an interview then.

I've made three long-distance job moves; two flew me out and put me up at ritzy hotels for interviewing, and I had to fly myself out to the other. Only one paid for all relocation expenses.

With kids, the way we are doing our upcoming move is this: Job first, find area to live/schooling next and then hit the road. We're going international, so we're liquidating household stuff and then *trying* to sell our house. We'll probably end up moving before the house sells, in which case, we'll have a mortgage and rent to contend with. We have a junior high schooler and a middle schooler, so schooling has been of utmost importance to me. For us, the schooling situation has been the most problematic.
You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.
Page1News

Postby disgruntled » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:34 pm

disgruntled

Next

Return to A Catch-All