[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Moving... Would Appreciate Input

• Advertisement

Moving... Would Appreciate Input

Discuss freelance writing and content mill site alternatives to Demand Media Studios.

Re: Moving... Would Appreciate Input

Postby Scribe On Demand » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:43 pm

Thanks, Page! That's really helpful. I always wondered about the school thing, especially since I only have one cub (never done this before!). And the lease? I keep trying to figure out how to time the end of the lease with the job. Our landlord is a private owner, so I don't know how much he'll work with us.

UGH. I hate moving. You guys rock. Thanks for the tips. Hot damn, I hate moving. But the idea of living in a metro instead of the boonies... that makes me purr. :D
2012 - Year of the Lioness

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupid.
Scribe On Demand

Advertisement

Postby You_Did_What? » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:45 pm

I, too, have moved multiple times, usually several hundred miles from point A to B. Until I married and became a rancher/farmer, I never had much furniture and boxes. But I found it was easier, and less stessful, to contact moving companies and tag my stuff onto another, bigger, load going to the same area. That way you generally only are charged for the weight and the larger load picks up any additional charges. The moving companies love this because they don't like partial loads. The drawback is that sometimes you have to wait until a load is going your direction, but if you aren't in a hurry... You can also store your stuff for a small fee at the moving company until the ride happens.

I also find it helpful to read the internet version of the local papers. You can discover the 'nice' areas and what's going on. Gives you an idea and leads to new businesses opening, etc, for job leads. Plus, future employers like it if you are familar with the area.

Before I moved from Colorado to Sacramento I began to job hunt, but found many employers didn't want to tak to me because I was relocating. Some thought I might try to stick them with the move costs, others didn't like it that I wasn't familar with the city. I started using my brother's addresss & phone number on the resume. :)

I now live in Northern California, where the local saying is "Come on vacation; leave on probation!" A horrible place, but stuck until I win the lotto. Sounds like you are from Southern Cal. so I won't share my prespective on the self-absorbed, unfriendly California population. Sorry, I'm a midwest gal where people are friendly, helpful and kind.
You_Did_What?

Postby Scribe On Demand » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:59 pm

2012 - Year of the Lioness

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupid.
Scribe On Demand

Postby Joe » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:27 pm

Don't know San Fran, but do know moving. Main advice: Don't hire a moving company, ever. Maybe if you know 10 close friends that used the company with excellent results, okay. Otherwise--NEVER. As nice as it sounds not having to haul and drive shit cross country, moving companies are some shady fucks.

I moved about 2,000 miles a few years ago. I had $1500 worth of moving expenses paid from a new job. Made the mistake of telling the moving company this, so they provided an estimate of $1,800. No brainer, right?

Wrong. They show up the day of the move, pack all my shit up and all of the sudden it's $2,900. And instead of the nice, humble guy who did the estimate, I'm dealing with a bunch of angry Russians. Got them to knock about $200 off their rip-off price and the guy says "We have a truck going out today if you hurry" just to get me off the phone. Between that and the fact they have all my worldly possessions in their truck, they have my balls in a vice grip.

So, what they meant by "going out today" was " in three weeks from now, violating the terms of your contract." They basically sold the load to some other shipping company and took three weeks or so to get it to us (contract said it'd be there in two weeks). On the plus side, they screwed company #2 over more than me, because I just didn't pay the delivery guys the remaining half of the money (told them I wanted to work out a deal with company #1 since they violated the contract; company #1 couldn't care less since company #2 was the one on the hook; I had no contract with company #2 and told them 'sue me, good luck'; eventually the calls stopped).

Moving companies are notoriously unethical and horrible to deal with. Not worth the headache. I did a shorter move of about 400 miles packing/driving on my own and it was much less hassle (outside of driving a full truck + trailer w/car over some sketchy mountain passes with tractor trailers up my 55-mph-top-speed ass).

ETA: To make this advice a little less one note, I'd also consider a full-on scouting trip. It's certainly different in a big city with tons of rentals (I was moving to a small resort town toward the beginning of the busy season), but I had trouble finding a place via the Internet. Found plenty of leads, but no one really wanted to take you seriously unless you were there in person. I did a scouting trip for both my moves and found it much better for finding/securing a suitable place to live. Found a place and signed a lease within a day or two of looking both times. It's much less stressful moving when you know that you have a quality place to live as opposed to nothing or a place you've only seen flattering pictures of via the Web.
Joe

Postby The Batman » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:57 pm

I'll second Joe on the moving companies, at least the cross-country ones.

They will come in and give you an estimate. You agree to it. Then, they pack all of your stuff up and haul it off. Next, they "weigh" it when you aren't present and mysteriously, it always comes out to be over the estimate. Complete rip-off.
"Wait, when is March Madness?" ~CE Cluebat
The Batman

Previous

Return to A Catch-All