[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - How much longer will content mills be around for?

• Advertisement

How much longer will content mills be around for?

Discuss freelance writing and content mill site alternatives to Demand Media Studios.

How much longer will content mills be around for?

Postby cyn99 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:54 pm

The reason I ask is it just seems like the content mill crap is finally gathering attention. For instance, today I saw an article on MSNBC or CNN about bad things that happened in 2010 or someting like that and DS - the "content mill" was listed and basically said everyone is getting sick of these content mills mucking up the internet. I agree that it is annoying when you do a basic search and the first page or two is all content mill sites. Because I write for DS once and a while, I know how to search and exclude the crap...but for the average person - they have no idea.

Personally, I do think Google and the other search engines are going to have to start excluding the content mill sites or not giving them priority over other, more reputable sites. What will happen to DS if this happens? Bye bye Google ad revenues? There comes a point when you have just saturated the interent with your junk, right?

I am going to keep bilking DS for as long as I can though.
cyn99

Advertisement

Re: How much longer will content mills be around for?

Postby INowMindDMS » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:53 pm

Probably for as long as people end sentences with prepositions.

Based on a few things I've read lately, I think the content farm business model may change later this this year.

With the journalism bigwigs (AP, NYT, et al.) getting together and forming an official group or organization to counter this "threat", I wonder if they will meet with Google and convince them to lower content mill search results (sooner than later).

Someone also mentioned Bing differentiating itself from Google by trying to create a brand centered around quality. They show the search results for a search in Bing vs. Google. I think it was a recipe. The Google search came up with an eHow search first, which was written by a person who didn't know how to use a can opener, while the Bing search took you to a"Gourmet" or "Bon Appetit" result.

If the DMS IPO doesn't happen by March 31, that may also send shock waves that signal content mills aren't as all-that as some thought.

There may be a slight uptick in writer fees this year, as Yahoo!, IAC, DMS and one or two others vie for writers, but when that collapses, it might domino quickly.

If the DMS IPO doesn't happen and Google bumps content mill results down, I could see Rosenblatt selling DMS, keeping the search-jacking side of the business, and someone with a lower profit need buying and cleaning up DMS by really improving the quality. Invest in real CEs, cut the article pay slightly but offer real revshare, and decrease the number of writers so that titles are easier to find and write.

Someone else who is happy "only" making a few million dollars per year should also recreate the eHow USC model. Let people post non-actionable crap, take 10 percent of their ad clicks, and laugh all the way to the bank.
INowMindDMS

Postby The Batman » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:59 pm

"Wait, when is March Madness?" ~CE Cluebat
The Batman

Postby INowMindDMS » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:46 pm

INowMindDMS

Postby The Batman » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:30 pm

The Batman

Postby Page1News » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:37 pm

Interesting that this came up. I was just telling someone about Ebyline. It's a great place for journalists, but its entire concept of pairing reporters with print publications hasn't taken off in a big way yet. I was saying that I think Ebyline will expand sometime this year because content mills have overstayed their welcome on the Internet. More and more journalists and publishers are starting to band together to figure out how to make it all work profitably in the virtual world.

And more newer search engines, such as Blekko, are making the PR push of distinguishing themselves from Google, using mill content as examples. I read an article about Blekko, and the head guy said that Google searches are an embarrassment. And they are. Google always will be known as the crap content search engine ... great draw for advertisers! :lol:

Just my two cents.
You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.
Page1News

Postby D.H. » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:30 pm

P1N, you must be getting the same news feed as me.

http://www.businessinsider.com/hey-pr-f ... ate-2011-1

As for hyphens, I don't think they're completely outdated. Is it fullscreen, full screen or full-screen? I never get that one right.

The beauty of the English language is that it is adaptable. All language is. Anyone who gets bent out of shape by language is pedantic and needs to chill out. That's how it operates. It changes as much as clothing or any other style does. At the end of the day, either you are effectively communicating or you are not. If you are, then keep doing what you're doing. The whole business with prepositions at the end of the sentence is silly, since it really doesn't detract at all from meaning or comprehension. Same with the contractions ain't or y'all. Language, like clothing and any other adornment or style is as much about social pecking order. I happen to like pidgin and creole and slang. They get looked down upon as inferior, but at those boundaries you see the most interesting creativity and interbreeding of ideas. The miscegenation of language much like the miscegenation of people leads to great beauty. :D
D.H.

Postby INowMindDMS » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:35 pm

I wonder if one of the "solutions" to content mills will be for Google to tell them to scale back the number of similar articles. Take a bunch of the articles they have, combine them into higher-quality articles, then get more clicks per article.

I wonder if DMS will hire writers to do that. . . . take articles they own (written by other/fellow writers) and have the writers update them. For example, take all the "How to Treat Dry Skin" articles and combine them into one, two or three quality articles.

That may be coming.
INowMindDMS

Postby INowMindDMS » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:40 pm

INowMindDMS

Postby The Batman » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:55 pm

The Batman

Next

Return to A Catch-All