[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - The Fiction about Fiction

• Advertisement

The Fiction about Fiction

Just like the title says!

Re: The Fiction about Fiction

Postby Pardon_my_French » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:19 am

Bon soir. I love this thread. I started reading "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" last night in the bath with my glass of wine. Loving the bizarre familiarity in the way he writes.

Pardon_my_French

Advertisement

Postby Weasel_Toad » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:48 am

Weasel_Toad

Postby jekhyl » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:58 pm

Why? Because FUCK YOU, that's why.
jekhyl

Postby Weasel_Toad » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:20 pm

Weasel_Toad

Postby prosetitute » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:53 am

I'm reading "House of Leaves" now and I fucking LOVE IT!!!!!! It's gonna take me a month to read it b/c I keep getting tied up finding all the codes and riddles hidden in the footnotes (not to mention P's letter). It's an odd coincidence that I'm reading this after finishing "American Gods" - since both make reference to the World Tree of Norse mythology.

Anyone who liked this book would probably like Nabokov's "Pale Fire" as well. It is also a satire (or maybe it's a parody?) of literary criticism - dealing with the fact that any attempts at literary criticism and analysis are subjective, colored by the critic's personal history and experiences. It's an extreme case in "Pale Fire" as the narrator is so narcissistic that the whole story becomes about him, and the reader must read between the lines to find the "truth" of the matter. Anyway, it's also chock full of puzzles, riddles, and hidden codes which are quite fun to figure out.

Anyway, thank you to whoever recommended this book - I think it was Queen but I'm not sure.

I'm considering reading "Only Revolutions" next but I don't know - constantly turning a book all around to read all that upside down, sideways, etc text is annoying. Although it might be something I could adapt to, like deciphering the words in "Trainspotting." The first chapter was hard and I was constantly aware of the process of reading and translating as I went, but I quickly adapted and lost myself in the book.
"Whoa! This guy has taffy!"
prosetitute

Postby Weasel_Toad » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:15 pm

Weasel_Toad

Postby prosetitute » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:18 pm

prosetitute

Postby Weasel_Toad » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:05 pm

Weasel_Toad

Postby prosetitute » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:18 pm

prosetitute

Postby FuckingHostile » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:28 am

I did not love House of Leaves. I did finish it, but I thought the suspense of the actual event never went anywhere, and the superfluous garbage that wasn't about the event seemed like a gimmick to me. Really good premise - I wish he'd done more with it.
"Many a fool has sought to oppose my diabolical will, only to find out later that they probably shouldn't have tried to do that." --Cthulhu
FuckingHostile

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes