[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Bartering

• Advertisement

Bartering

Just like the title says!

Bartering

Postby Page1News » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:37 pm

Hey, have any of you bartered your writing/editing/design services?

I received an offer to write in exchange for free resort/condo accommodations anywhere in the world. As a travel person, I'm so tempted to go for it.

If any of you have good or bad experiences with bartering, please share. :)
You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.
Page1News

Advertisement

Re: Bartering

Postby BurnCEs » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Yes, I've had a couple of positive experiences doing this for small local businesses who just need the occasional press release and accompanying media sell-in done for them. In general, the notional value of what I've had back has been far higher than what I've contributed, so I'd say it's worth doing if you can cut a sweet deal. You can also keep it off the books and tax-free, which helps both parties.
BurnCEs

Postby undercover » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:47 pm

I have only bartered with friends. As long as both parties are happy with the arrangement and each does their part, it has been a good experience. Bartering with strangers/companies is probably a different can of worms. Couple of things to think about:

Get specifics of the contract in writing, just as you would for monetary compensation.
What would you do if they didn't follow through with their end of the bargain?
Make sure your responsibilities are clarified in the contract. I would hate to see you in some exotic place being told you have to do a bunch more work than you expected or you can foot your own bill.

Just my 5 cents (inflation.)
undercover

Postby Page1News » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:00 pm

Well, here's the deal. It's for a well-known travel accommodation company.The contract is lengthy, but it's comprehensive. It's an on-going offer. The more I write, the more accommodation nights I receive. For example, two 30-minute written blurbs = 1 night's stay. Some of these resorts/condos charge $900+/per night. So, in my simplified thinking, 1 hour of my work = $900. Am I missing something? Am I over-simplifying this scenario?
You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.
Page1News

Postby disgruntled » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:22 pm

disgruntled

Postby Page1News » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:57 pm

Page1News

Postby truthagainst » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:43 pm

I'd do it, but it really depends on the cost of getting to those hotels. Do you have a lot of frequent flyer miles? ;)
"You see, I have this little policy about honesty and ass-kicking, which is, if you ask for it, then I have to let you have it." - Taylor Mali
truthagainst

Location: That place where Louis CK says people just stand out on their porches and look depressed.

Postby Page1News » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:13 pm

Page1News

Postby disgruntled » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:44 pm

disgruntled

Postby undercover » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:15 pm

undercover

Next

Return to Anything Goes