[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Any former band geeks here?

• Advertisement

Any former band geeks here?

Just like the title says!

Any former band geeks here?

Postby prosetitute » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:12 am

I played trumpet in my HS marching band and those are some of my fondest memories of HS. People tended to think band kids are geeks but the shit we got up to, lordy! Band and drama club parties were always wild and our chaperones let us get away with murder on trips.

Just thinking about those days b/c our high school alumni band night was last night and I kinda wish I'd gone.Our old band director is retiring this year and it's sad to see him go. Watched the vids on You Tube and I got a little weepy during the dance break - there's a traditional dance move the band has done since our director took over where everyone screams "monty monty turkey turkey gobble gobble eat me eat me." That sounds strange, I guess but the crowd goes nuts over it. :P I'm hoping the new band director is an alum and keeps the tradition going. IMO dance bands are so much more fun to watch than traditional marching bands.

Thanks for indulging me in my trip down memory lane. I'm feeling old as fuck and all nostalgic today.
"Whoa! This guy has taffy!"
prosetitute

Advertisement

Re: Any former band geeks here?

Postby truthagainst » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:37 pm

I played clarinet in band class but never joined marching band, which was more like you describe. I will say that the one class trip I took, when I partnered up with the class uber geek, we played with matchsticks in the hotel room. That wasn't a band trip, but the girl played trumpet. Y'know them trumpet girls... :P

I don't think my HS even did a 10 year reunion, and I'm kinda glad. There's not many people from there that I liked to be around then or would like to be around now. :roll:
"You see, I have this little policy about honesty and ass-kicking, which is, if you ask for it, then I have to let you have it." - Taylor Mali
truthagainst

Location: That place where Louis CK says people just stand out on their porches and look depressed.

Postby Page1News » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:44 pm

Played alto sax in HS marching band. Played sax and baritone in college marching band. And I switched it up and became a member of the flag corps my senior year in college. College band trips rocked! 8-)
You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.
Page1News

Postby Scribe On Demand » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:08 pm

Flute and piccolo here for marching band. Drama nerd and choir geek too, before it was cool. (Woot woot, show choir! Watching Glee is like reliving those days.) My old directors are all still there, doing their thing. They were young or barely mid-career when I was there some 10 years ago though.

Damn, that was fun. Good memories. :)
2012 - Year of the Lioness

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupid.
Scribe On Demand

Postby sickofstupidity » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:34 pm

Total band geek here. Played clarinet in marching band, concert band and wind ensemble. Played tenor sax in jazz band. Loved the sax, but hated lugging that thing on the bus every morning. I'm such a huge band nerd that I even went to *music camp* for two summers. It was pretty awesome, because it was for kids 13 to 18, so I got to meet tons of older people. The only bad part was that, while I was one of the best clarinetists in my region, I was pretty much bottom of the totem pole when it came to music camp. A lot of the kids there now have great music careers -- one has written music for the NFL, one conducts a major symphony, another is the director of bands at a well-known college. I don't even play anymore because there are no groups for adults around here.
sickofstupidity

Postby truthagainst » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:55 pm

"You see, I have this little policy about honesty and ass-kicking, which is, if you ask for it, then I have to let you have it." - Taylor Mali
truthagainst

Location: That place where Louis CK says people just stand out on their porches and look depressed.

Postby Fixer-Upper » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:21 pm

Former and current band geek here. I'm fortunate that I live in an area that has a lot of community bands.
Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin' / And I'm not stuffin' / Believe you me / Don't you remember I told ya / I'm a soldier in the war on poverty.
-Billy Preston
Fixer-Upper

Postby Groundskeeper Willie » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:40 pm

I was a youth orchestra geek. One of the perks: almost no other guy violinists, so I always got to share music stands with chicks.

I was also a theater geek. Similar perk: I was one of the few straight guys.

ETA
I also did speech and debate, which was like 80% girls. Basically, most of my extracurriculars were really about macking.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, this guy gets it." ~thebesig, RIP
Groundskeeper Willie

Postby Scribe On Demand » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:51 am

2012 - Year of the Lioness

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupid.
Scribe On Demand

Postby jekhyl » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:10 pm

No band for me. Choir and Show Choir -- as in Glee Club.

I was a Gleek. My High School even took our act (along with the orchestra) to Caracas, Venezuela.
Why? Because FUCK YOU, that's why.
jekhyl

Next

Return to Anything Goes