[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - National Novel Writing Month

• Advertisement

National Novel Writing Month

Just like the title says!

National Novel Writing Month

Postby Devil_youknow » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:03 pm

A friend told me about this and year after year, I always forget, but this year I'm going to try.

The goal is write an entire novel during the month of November.

You in? :D
Devil_youknow

Advertisement

Re: National Novel Writing Month

Postby truthagainst » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:30 pm

I don't think the point is to write a great novel in one month. It's just a gimmick, albeit a fun one, to get people to write without holding themselves back or putting it off. Granted, what I read on their forums is usually super annoying and lame, and produced by teeny-boppers.

I tried to do it while in college a few times, but I always gave up. They literally placed it in the worst possible month. Professors like to assign papers that come due during that time, and there's the whole clown festival that is getting together with relatives for Thanksgiving.

Maybe I'll do it this year, if there's nothing better to do. I always get caught up in self-editing and then give up, like a kid with too many toys. Writing and ideas are toys. :P
"You see, I have this little policy about honesty and ass-kicking, which is, if you ask for it, then I have to let you have it." - Taylor Mali
truthagainst

Location: That place where Louis CK says people just stand out on their porches and look depressed.

Postby Devil_youknow » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:34 pm

It's not eHow writing. No one tells you what to write, and you have full command over everything you do.

The point of the whole shebang is to stop the procrastination. How many times have you heard a writer say "Sigh, I'd love to write a novel." Everyone says it, no one does it. So this is just a little kicker that gets you motivated.

Even if what I'm writing is complete crap at least it will let me get out my creativity, which has been stifled with all the dry dull articles I've had to write.
Devil_youknow

Postby EnigmaticJack » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:09 pm

Some of the stuff produced by nanowrimo makes eHow glow by comparison. That's why some 'real' writers always let people know how hard it is to be a 'real' writer and how harmful nanowrimo was to 'real' writers for some reason. Then 'Water for Elephants' was written during nanowrimo. There are one or two other books on the New York Times bestseller list that were nanowrimo titles too.

There's still a lot of crap churned out I'm sure, but some of the stuff's pretty good.
'Guys and girls, beware, the berg has warned you.'

Rule number one: The Doctor lies.
EnigmaticJack

Postby SEO Speedwagon » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:16 pm

I just wanted to thank you for not calling it NaNoWriMo. For some reason, the shortened form makes me want to simultaneously puke and murder someone.

This might be a good exercise for a procrastinating writer, or just to develop good daily writing habits. I have a friend who does it every year just as a fun thought experiment.
SEO Speedwagon

Postby undercover » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:22 pm

Maybe I'll give it a shot this year. November is not a good month, much too busy. (But then I wonder if I could come up with that excuse any month...) :D
undercover

Postby Scribe On Demand » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:53 pm

I'm already signed up. November is always insane but dammit, I'm really excited about this. And determined to get at least 50,000 of the novel out of my head and onto the page.

I love me some NaNoWriMo. (Just for you, Speedwagon! :lol: )
2012 - Year of the Lioness

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupid.
Scribe On Demand

Postby Devil_youknow » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:24 am

Yeah, like I said, I know what I'll be writing won't be my best creative work but anything to get me out of the dry language articles I've been writing.

Funny thing, I've only been active on two forums. This one, and one a few years ago that was all about creative writing (sadly it is no more). Both have kicked my part-time writing butt into gear so I guess I should thank ya.
Devil_youknow

Postby truthagainst » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:30 am

"You see, I have this little policy about honesty and ass-kicking, which is, if you ask for it, then I have to let you have it." - Taylor Mali
truthagainst

Location: That place where Louis CK says people just stand out on their porches and look depressed.

Postby Devil_youknow » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:40 am

Devil_youknow

Next

Return to Anything Goes