• Advertisement

HELP! Mac to PC Time...

Just like the title says!

HELP! Mac to PC Time...

Postby 16blue » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:21 pm

Stupid (soon-to-be-ex) Macfag here...

My ugly old crappy white Macbook crapped out. Finally. I liked my Macbook (my only experience with PCs has been with some reaaaaally shitty old Compaqs that would clog with spam and pop-ups galore), but there's no way I'm going to shell out $1,200 for Mac's "entry-level" models (now that they've discontinued the $800-ish Macbooks of old)...

What I liked about Macs were that they're light, didn't get spammy, were low-maintenance and the display was pretty good. I never worried about the screen going black (as I've seen with several Compaqs and HPs).

I know nothing about PCs... only that I'd love to buy something in the $400-$700 range. I don't need it for anything fancy... mostly just freelance writing work, e-mail, the occasional streaming of TV...

I've head the Vaio is nice. I'm not that into HP, since my boyfriend's last two have gotten messed up fairly quickly and seem to be a little bulky and awkward.

Anyone got any preferences?
16blue

Advertisement

Re: HELP! Mac to PC Time...

Postby truthagainst » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:03 pm

Well, if you still wanted a Mac and could go with something less than the newest model, I'd say walk into a used computer store. However, they hold their price tag better than they hold their actual value as a "useful" machine. Just double check that the power jack is good. Especially on the old whities, the pins break off in them, or they get loose.

I like my new-ish HP a lot, other than it does something I never expected: about once a month, it blue screens. Yeah, with Windows 7. Mine is a Pavilion dv7. For around $570 I got most of what I'd want in a laptop (6gb RAM, 17" screen, 640 HD, sorta nice speakers), other than discrete graphics, but meh, laptops with those are still pricey. From what I heard, the price was reduced on laptops that had first-gen Intel i3/i5/i7 processors because the second-gen came out not too long ago.

My father and brother both own Gateway laptops. For an entry-level lappy, I'd say they're not bad. The chassis isn't super high quality, but there's everything in them that you'd want, unless you do some badass media editing.
"You see, I have this little policy about honesty and ass-kicking, which is, if you ask for it, then I have to let you have it." - Taylor Mali
truthagainst

Location: That place where Louis CK says people just stand out on their porches and look depressed.

Postby prosetitute » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:39 pm

16, you could also check out the apple website and look at the refurbished macs. I bought mine refurbished for a reasonable amount and never had any problems with it. Eventually gave it to my father b/c he really wanted it (iMac G5 was the shit at that time) and I wanted to go back to PC's.

Went through a horrible Toshiba experience. After it crashed I found out all kinds of people have problems with them.

Have an HP G60 now that I got for around $500 almost 3 years ago. Still runs well, no blue screen of death like truthy. The big problem is that if I unplug from the power source it sometimes won't charge after I plug in again. I end up having to shut down, remove the battery then put it back in, then restart. After that it will charge again.

I'm looking to get the HP Pavillion dvFt Quad edition with some tax money. It's got the quad processors, great graphics card for gaming, and 6GB of RAM. All for around $900.

I'd say a lot comes down to personal preference, same as with cars. Once you find a brand that works well for you you tend to want to stick with them, you know?
"Whoa! This guy has taffy!"
prosetitute

Postby The Batman » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:48 pm

If that's your price range, I suggest a higher end netbook. Just make sure it has HDMI audio and video output, so you can connect it to your TV and watch your streamed stuff on the TV.

If you are looking for a full-sized Windows laptop at that price, you aren't going to get much longevity out of it. It will be obsolete and slow within a year, unless you install a Linux distro to get some extra life out of it. I'll just assume that's not your plan.

Used Macs are generally still costly, but they don't always retain their functionality. Be careful with what you are getting there.
"Wait, when is March Madness?" ~CE Cluebat
The Batman

Postby 16blue » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:30 pm

Thanks guys... good advice. I definitely don't think I want a used Mac, at this point. I would spend more, but I'm a little broke after my move.
16blue

Postby undercover » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:59 am

I went from PC to Mac. I'm no expert, but my old PC is a Lenovo which I believe was bought by IBM. I bought my Lenovo laptop in 2006 (I think) and it is still functional. My kids use it. It was not inexpensive for what it was at the time. I did not need a lot of bells and whistles and it served my purposes well.

$0.02
undercover

Postby DMSZombieNoMore » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:21 pm

I've got a new Sony Vaio, Win7 64 bit, I7 quad - but it cost a great deal more than what you're looking to spend. But they do make some Vaio's that may be more in line with your price. Sony has great customer service and most laptops come loaded with software.

Before the Vaio, I owned IBM ThinkPads exclusively. My old T42 still works, as does my 600 model (albeit, slow as hell). Had the new Lenovo ThinkPads come with the same specs as the Sony for around the same money, I would have stayed with them. Unfortunately they wanted almost 500 more than the Vaio. Lenovo, who bought the IBM computer lines in the mid 2000s, also offers great customer service. With the right warranty, the repairman will come straight to your house and fix your machine if anything goes wrong.

Have worked on dozens of HP's, Dell's, and Toshiba's when self and better half had a computer repair shop out here in the boonies. Don't think much of any of the brands - but that's me.
DMSZombieNoMore

Postby D.H. » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:02 pm

Where I live, at least, you can find very decent used MacBooks (or Pros) for sale on Craigslist for $300 if you are patient. I have a buddy who used to work at Apple and now just buys used MBs for $250 and refurbs and flips them for $450. He said that he can find 2-3 per month.

I recommend Fusion (or Parallels) for running Windows apps, as long as you're not gaming. As long as you have a 2Ghz+ processor and 4+ GB of RAM your performance will be comparable.

The other option is Hackintosh, which all comes down to picking the proper hardware and spending some time with the install. I have an Asus netbook that is 99% fully functional, so I ended up replacing my MacBook with a Mini on the desktop and a hackintosh netbook for the coffee shops.
D.H.

Return to Anything Goes