[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Winter is a-comin'

• Advertisement

Winter is a-comin'

Just like the title says!

Re: Winter is a-comin'

Postby WhatEver » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:19 pm

Oh joy - I'm in New England, right about on the border where the blue and pink lines meet on that weather map! :roll: Such is life in the snow belt.

Hubby already got the plow truck prepared and moved into position by the garage, so he can be ready for the first storm. He decided he would rather take care of that when it was sunny and about 50 degrees out, than snowing and in the 20s! We have had snow as early as the end of October/early November before, so we wouldn't be surprised to see it soon. :(
Freelance mantra: *Diversify*Diversify*Diversify*
WhatEver

Advertisement

Postby undercover » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:55 pm

undercover

Postby truthagainst » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:19 pm

"You see, I have this little policy about honesty and ass-kicking, which is, if you ask for it, then I have to let you have it." - Taylor Mali
truthagainst

Location: That place where Louis CK says people just stand out on their porches and look depressed.

Postby pinkelephant » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:54 pm

Count me in the bitter cold category. I won't tell you all what we did to lower the heat bill cause you'll all put me in a category with the zombs. Despicable do you have a southern exposure on your property? Might want to check out solar heaters on You Tube if you do. They are really nice and cheap if your handy with tools. Don't forget a spare way to cook if you lose power. We normally do at least twice. I hope for no more "storms" because we still haven't recovered from the last one.

I was saving for this
BUT I doubt I'll get it before winter now. I really wanted that stove and envisioned a big pot of soup or stew boiling on it all day... :( We wouldnt get to use it full time, our house is super insulated so we don't need to start heating until around 25 degrees. Still a long way off from that, bout December?
pinkelephant

Postby SEO Speedwagon » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:16 pm

The best thing to do is put that plastic shrink wrap stuff over your windows, especially if you're in an old-ass house. I have to put comforters over the doors and shit because this place is so drafty (but so charming :roll: ).
SEO Speedwagon

Postby pinkelephant » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:26 pm

SEO,
You can put bubble wrap, that you use for packing over the windows also. As it turns out air, is the greatest insulator of all. Just spritz the windows with water and put the stuff on there. it will cling all winter. I've had to do the blankets for curtain thing too, I still will if it gets too cold. I figure if blankets on the walls was good enough for castle owners its good enough for me! What we've done is a bit more extreme than that lol.
pinkelephant

Postby pinkelephant » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:48 am

Despicable, I can verify that the heater your looking at really works! We've used one in the past when we camp. Try to keep them on low/medium heat if you can, when they get turned on high they can put off fumes that aren't pleasant. I'd even go as far as saying get a CO2 monitor just in case.

Propane/butane camp stoves work really well. We've got a 2 burner by Coleman that we've used several times camping/power outage. You can make lanterns from vegetable oil and they are completely safe.

I guess you could say we are survivalist nuts, but really its because we are so far from anything. We've got to be prepared for dang near anything out here. We use this lantern when cold camping It gives light and puts out enough heat to keep us toasty in a 6 man tent. The fuel source is propane but in a bottle that screws in rather than something you have to pour and refill.

I thought I might show you another option for heat This heater screws onto a BBQ style propane tank. You don't have to physically pour anything into it, and its puts out 5K more BTU's than the one your looking at. We have a model like this in our well house for those 0 or -8 nights and it doesn't smell. We'd use it in the house, but we have wood heat. HIH
pinkelephant

Postby pinkelephant » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:17 am

pinkelephant

Postby queenoffckall » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:33 am

I'm with Ms. Bluth. I wore shorts and a tank top today. November gets a wee bit blustery, so I dug into my closet until I found an actual coat and there was a crisp $20 in the pocket.
queenoffckall

Postby CE_ClueBat » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:04 am

"Or, it could be that I don't know everything." ~TheBatman
CE_ClueBat

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes