• Advertisement

Buying a Nook on ebay?

Just like the title says!

Buying a Nook on ebay?

Postby partygirl » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:29 am

My 13yo wants a Nook Color for Christmas. I've been checking them out on ebay this morning and they are going for around $150 for used ones, often with the box, cover, charger, etc. included. They're about $250 new, but I can't find any info on whether chargers, cover, etc. come with brand new ones, or if you have to buy that separately. Very frustrating.

Would it be foolish to buy a used one ebay? My daughter wouldn't mind it being used as long as it works, especially since it means saving $100 that would be added back into my Christmas budget to buy her more stuff. Am I wrong to think it would be better to buy from an indvidual than a refurbished one from a business? Some individuals are selling them already rooted. I'm assuming that would be a good idea, since no one in this house would have any idea how to go about doing that. We are technological dumbasses here, so I could use any advice at all from you smart people. Thanks.
partygirl

Advertisement

Re: Buying a Nook on ebay?

Postby EnigmaticJack » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:14 am

Check Glyde.com before you buy. I got my Nook (first gen) there for $40 and it came in like-new condition with charger, etc. It didn't have the original box, but I didn't care about the box. They don't have any Nook Colors in their tablet section at the moment (though I've seen them there before) but they do have one of the 3rd gen touchscreen ones for $100 in excellent condition. If they've got one when you're ready to buy I'd definitely recommend it.

They work similar to Amazon marketplace or eBay, but they offer decent fraud protection too. When you buy through them the seller sends your item once you pay but doesn't actually get his money until you receive the item and check it out to make sure it's just like the seller said it was.

As for rooting, it's pretty simple with the Nook. I think it's a little more complex with the Color but not a whole lot more. If you can get one that's not rooted for cheaper then get it and I can help you root it if you want. I've got sites bookmarked and everything for when I rooted mine.

Just remember that Gilligan says you can get sued over that. :P
'Guys and girls, beware, the berg has warned you.'

Rule number one: The Doctor lies.
EnigmaticJack

Postby CE_ClueBat » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:16 am

Does B&N sell used ones?

I bought a set of fine china from an eBay buyer. It was a good experience. That's the only time I ever bought and didn't sell. It worked out for me. Just check the seller's rating. See if he's sold the product before. Lots of times, they sell the same product over and over and if they have really good reviews for the same stuff, I'd feel comfortable buying from them.
"Or, it could be that I don't know everything." ~TheBatman
CE_ClueBat

Postby BurnCEs » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:52 pm

I've generally had good experiences with eBay, too. I've usually found sellers go above and beyond to ensure the item is as-described, packaged properly and shipped quickly.

Watch out for counterfeit Chinese shit when you're buying electronic goods (although this is more of a problem with new items.) As well as looking at the overall seller rating, I always scan through the buyer comments for a few pages and you'll soon see if the seller has ever dabbled in cheap knock-offs.
BurnCEs

Postby D.H. » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:25 pm

I have a Nook Color that I got through Demand Deals. It was a legitimate deal at $150. I rooted it and it is a great travel device. I barely use it at home but absolutely love it for travel. You can watch 3 movies on a single charge.

The NC does not come with a cover in the box. It does come with a charger. You could use any wall charger that feeds a USB port, though you might want to double-check on that. Nooks have higher power requirements than phones or iPod Touch type devices. You can't really recharge one from a USB port on a computer. The power cable is proprietary. You will want the B&N anti-glare screen protectors. Trust me. I would also say that you def. want a rooted one.

If it was me, and I have purchased A LOT of used electronics on eBay for the past decade, I would gravitate towards an individual seller with a high 99%+ rating. If you get one that's pre-rooted it will save the extra effort and also include a micro-SD card. I do think you would be able to find a new one on sale for sub $200 range this holiday season.
D.H.

Postby D.H. » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:07 pm

Apparently B&N is slated to announce a new NC on Nov 7, so prices should drop.

Overstock has refurbs for $139, which is an excellent price.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-20127 ... 9-shipped/
D.H.

Postby partygirl » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:32 pm

Ahhhh.... Thanks dickhead. I mean D.H. That is good to know. I googled a bit and it looks like people are guessing the new one won't be too much different than the original, so I'm hoping that will be good news for me. I doubt my kid will notice or care. Thanks to everyone for the advice.
partygirl

Return to Anything Goes