[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Ok. Job Interview Questions

• Advertisement

Ok. Job Interview Questions

Just like the title says!

Ok. Job Interview Questions

Postby gob bluth » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:12 pm

So, as everyone knows, we moved back to the Dallas area. My husband quit his job to move here.( he was an assistant manager at gamestop. Long story short, he couldn't transfer because his store manager was an ass).

He's been on two interviews. One for market street and one for whole foods. Both interviews went well but it seems like he keeps getting the same canned response at the end "ok great we will call you by X if we want a second interview." The day comes and goes and he never hears a word. He called both places after the day passed and always gets either voicemail or someone tells him the hiring manager is gone.

My question is what the Hell could my husband possibly be doing wrong for this to happen twice in a row, both at grocery stores?

He worked at food lion for two years!

It's confusing to me. Plus, when did the whole thing start happening where companies don't bother calling or sending a canned letter letting you know you are no longer being considered.

At this point, he just wants a job. He's got an interview at a movie theater, which is fine for now but seriously? I'm confused about where he's going wrong in the interviews.
gob bluth

Advertisement

Re: Ok. Job Interview Questions

Postby truthagainst » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:18 pm

For now: places in the malls are hiring seasonal workers, which sometimes goes to perm if they like you. I'm doing a job like that now.

Long-term: Seriously, WTF? I thought Texas was the land of jobs and plenty. He can't get a job at a grocery store? Is he looking to do management? It seems weird that a place would do that for regular clerk positions. Usually they don't even call for an interview unless they really want to hire you but just need to check you're not gross or insane. Higher-level jobs are probably a bit different, though. I guess they have too many people applying for the same job. *shakes head*
"You see, I have this little policy about honesty and ass-kicking, which is, if you ask for it, then I have to let you have it." - Taylor Mali
truthagainst

Location: That place where Louis CK says people just stand out on their porches and look depressed.

Postby gob bluth » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:15 pm

Seriously, all the grocery store jobs he's applied for are regular clerk positions!
gob bluth

Postby D.H. » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:59 pm

Take this as a note of encouragement, but he's going to need thicker skin to run the gauntlet of today's hiring environment. Instead of assuming that he's doing something wrong, confront the fact that it's a viscous environment out there for job seekers and likely more qualified or connected individuals are beating him out for the positions. It could be any number of things that led to the hiring of someone else. Perhaps he is more qualified and did better at the interviews than anybody else. That's not enough sometimes. Crony capitalism is alive and well, and if you don't "know someone" you are swimming against the tide. If it had been 200 interviews without a follow-up call, then you might draw a conclusion he's doing something wrong. You don't have enough data points to conclude it's his fault in the interview process. Perhaps there was nothing he could do to get hired at either position and he was lucky or qualified enough to even be called in for an interview. Companies are in a position of power in this economy, so they can ignore those who don't make the cut. It costs them money in HR staffing to contact all the candidates who didn't make the cut.
D.H.

Postby Page1News » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:05 pm

What D.H. said. Companies (online and offline) don't contact you unless they want to hire you. If you don't hear back, keep looking.

ETA: I had a company call me 13 months after I had applied. My reply to them: I'm so sorry, but you took too long, and I have other employment. I wish you the best of luck in your applicant search.
You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.
Page1News

Postby gob bluth » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:04 pm

He's a nice guy, I don't think he was prepared for how different interviews are. He's trying though!
gob bluth

Postby partygirl » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:08 pm

Two of my brothers work for Half Price Books, one in Austin and one in a Dallas suburb. They both like it and were moved into management fairly quickly. It seems to be a pretty cool company to work for. I have no idea if they're hiring or if your husband would even be interested, just a thought I'm throwing out there. Lemme know if you want me to ask my Dallas bro what the hiring climate is like there at the moment.
partygirl

Postby gob bluth » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:31 am

Actually, he put in an app at half price on Friday! So your bros like working for them? I think he's going to call the store tomorrow and ask about the status of his app. If the one in mckinney isn't hiring, maybe he should try frisco?

If you wouldn't mind asking your bro which ones are or will be hiring that would be awesome! Thank you!

I love half price.:)
gob bluth

Postby queenoffckall » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:35 am

Half Price is a groovy, groovy job. PartyGirl, which one in Dallas? I may know him.

Your hubby could also apply at Target. Every one I've been to lately has had hiring signs up everywhere.
queenoffckall

Postby partygirl » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:08 am

partygirl

Next

Return to Anything Goes