[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Need a new headset

• Advertisement

Need a new headset

Just like the title says!

Need a new headset

Postby Page1News » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:22 am

Hi guys! I'm in need of a new headset for Skyping via latptop. I currently have an older wired headset, but I want a wireless -- the kind that you can walk around and talk. I've looked and looked and can't decide what kind/brand would be the best. I'm constantly Skyping, so I need something that is easy to travel with, that has background noise cancellation, volume control and clear audio.

Anyone have any great suggestions? I'd like to stay under $100, if that's possible.
You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.
Page1News

Advertisement

Re: Need a new headset

Postby EnigmaticJack » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:21 pm

Does your laptop have Bluetooth? That could open up some possibilities for decent-ish wireless headsets around the $50-$100 range.
'Guys and girls, beware, the berg has warned you.'

Rule number one: The Doctor lies.
EnigmaticJack

Postby Page1News » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:42 pm

Dumb question alert: How do I know if my laptop has Bluetooth? All this nontechie gnome knows is that I need a USB thingie -- I think.
You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.
Page1News

Postby The Batman » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:50 pm

You are a Mac person, right? If you have a model released in the last 5 years, you have Bluetooth.
"Wait, when is March Madness?" ~CE Cluebat
The Batman

Postby Page1News » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:56 pm

I'm a mac desktop. PC laptop. I got this laptop about a year ago; it's an Acer.

ETA: When I search for bluetooth, I get this list: Bluetooth not exists, Bluetooth enable, Bluetooth disable.
Page1News

Postby D.H. » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:32 pm

I would not recommend doing Skype through Bluetooth. You will be disappointed and the people on the remote end will be frustrated. JMHO

Skype does list wireless headsets on their shopping site, but you'll notice they all come with their own dongle. I would start with the ones on the high end of the price spectrum and do some googling to find out how they operate in real-world conditions. Be sure there is a liberal return policy when you do buy one. Test it extensively with family and friends before you use it in any professional situations.

http://shop.skype.com/headsets/

The problem is that you are compressing and decompressing the audio at least twice and any latency at all in the signal will quickly make the conversation unbearable. Think of a call where one or both parties are in a moving vehicle on a mobile phone in a low coverage area. Like that . . . only worse.

EDIT --

This one seems to get pretty good reviews, and a fair number of reviewers say it works well with Skype. I would start with this as a benchmark. Don't buy a bluetooth wireless headset for Skype. This one uses the same frequencies as a cordless phone.

http://amzn.com/B0015EY5RE
D.H.

Postby Page1News » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:46 pm

Thanks, DH. I've been looking at Skype's shop. I guess I didn't realize just how expensive they can get. But with my job, I need something really, really good. So, I guess you get what you pay for in this instance.
Page1News

Postby D.H. » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:26 pm

D.H.

Postby gob bluth » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:42 pm

Can you use Turtle Beach headsets on computers?

If so, my husband has a nice headset that was about $80. I think* some come in wireless but I'm not sure.
gob bluth

Return to Anything Goes