[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Rescue Blues

• Advertisement

Rescue Blues

Just like the title says!

Rescue Blues

Postby gob bluth » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:49 am

Winter is setting in. I know we've had a discussion somewhere about depression but I'm starting a new one.

I'm fucking depressed. So depressed that I haven't slept right in weeks. I barely leave the house. I cry constantly.

This is bad. Really bad. I don't know why its hitting me so hard. The panic attacks won't stop. I feel miserable.

I haven't been on zoloft for about a year. I'm thinking its time.

Anyone else feel free to vent about sadness. I'm just venting because I don't like my family asking me questions so venting makes me less obviously sad I guess.
gob bluth

Advertisement

Re: Rescue Blues

Postby liarmcliarface » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:58 am

Much platonic and knowing love to you, Gob Bluth. I understand. I get the depression, but it's all the fucking goddamn time. When it manifests, it usually manifests as withdrawing from life and from emotion itself. I immerse myself in busy work. Not action, but activity. Pointless things like smoking and tweaking website code that doesn't really need tweaking. It only compounds the problem, driving me further and further into my psychological cave. I feel like I'm gonna end up like the Phantom of the Opera or some shit. But I dunno. Whatever. Life will improve. I just go numb. Once in a while it all rains down and I feel really, really sad. My heart can sometimes be like a plains desert: dry, desolate, featureless -- then thundering chaos.

Winter does make it worse, I think, now that I think about it.

Crazy thing is, I know I'll be alright. You gonna be alright?
"You gotta keep your worlds apart!" - George Costanza
liarmcliarface

Postby Devil_youknow » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:48 pm

Hang in there man, talk to a doctor, they can help. Seasonal affective disorder strikes a large number of people. And here in Michigan, we all look like zombies, once the cold weather sets in. Seriously, it's like a George Romero movie all up in here come January.

Didn't you recently move across the country, or am I thinking of someone else. Major change causes all sorts of issues. And vent away, this forum is the perfect place for venting. Just remember to include as many cuss words as possible. It makes it more "colorful". ;)
Devil_youknow

Postby partygirl » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:17 pm

I second that about getting to a doc, and getting used to your new town. Go ahead and try the zoloft. If you don't like what it does or your family doesn't notice a difference, you can always quit taking it. It's worth a try.
partygirl

Postby CE_ClueBat » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:55 pm

I can see why winter depresses people. Now that I'm in Tennessee, holy shit it's cold and I don't want to get out from under the covers and I don't want to go outside. Going out in the sun is great for your mood, but shiiiit, I've only been out for a run twice since I've been up here. It's too fucking cold to go outside! No wonder people get down.

Plus, with getting cut off from funds at DMS, that ALWAYS puts people in a bad mood. I totally get it. Money stuff does wonders with my stress levels too, but don't worry. The shit always works out. My family isn't the best for compassion either. I love my sis, but she sees the world with blinders, and if you don't see it her way, she just argues with you. Family is only cool to talk to if they have compassion, and people who have it good can have a hard time seeing it from someone else's perspective.

You could always find some cool forums that "keep you company." Or, play games. I know, lame ideas maybe, but gaming always takes me away from my depressed or stressed state.

I've read tons of times that the holidays are all happy happy joy joy for some people, but for a lot of people, it's depressing as shit, and I can see why for so many reasons. Try not to focus on all the bullshit stress that the holidays cause. The requirements to buy stuff, socialize when you don't want to, go out when you don't want to, etc. It's ok not to like that shit. You're not alone. :D
"Or, it could be that I don't know everything." ~TheBatman
CE_ClueBat

Postby Damnwhofarted » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:57 pm

Fellow SAD sufferer here, but not this year for some reason. I've done some things this year that I haven't done in years past, which may or may not have helped:

- Doubled up on multivitamins every day.
- Taking CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) for help with burning fat.
- Work out four to five days a week.
- Eat something on a regular schedule.

The exercise is a major boost, but I still felt like ass over the fall/winter last year, even working out as much as I did. Just not as severe as in the past. This year, I haven't experienced a twinge and the only difference is taking two multivitamins and the CLA.

Eating on a regular schedule is important because it makes you do something essential to survival. It also gives you more energy, which is key to being able to function.

One last thought is sunlight. If the sky has been gloomy and gray, get thee outside or to a window and make sure to visually experience sunlight the moment the clouds break. I've always felt an interesting reaction in my brain as the sun hit. It's like something in the brain is saying "Oooooo goody! Visual candy! Let's party!"

Sharing this in case it helps someone out. Drugs are good 'n all that, so if it works, it works. Better living through chemistry. Ya gotta do what is right for you, yannow?
Damnwhofarted

Postby Scribe On Demand » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:56 pm

Oh gob, I feel you.

Bipolar. December and May are the worst for me. Like, I've been hospitalized for it.

I really think it's time to talk to a doc about Zoloft. I definitely understand not wanting to be on meds, but if it helps more than it hinders, it's the best option.

And please, feel free to vent. Shit has hit the fan at my house so on top of the seasonal depression, there's the whole "should we divorce?" with me and the husband. :? Not fun.

Take care of yourself. If that means meds, sunshine, and exercise, do it. If that means Gears of War 3 and vodka sunrises, I'll PM you my Gamertag. ;)
2012 - Year of the Lioness

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupid.
Scribe On Demand

Postby CE_ClueBat » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:37 pm

Yeah you got to go outside when you're feeling sad, but holy shit winter weather sucks. In Florida, you go outside and at worst you wear a hoodie.

You can also try 5HTP, which is a precursor to serotonin. I don't know if you can use that with Zoloft, so check with your doc first.
You can try valerian root tea for sleep. They have it in pill form too. It helps me sleep when I'm going through stress.
"Or, it could be that I don't know everything." ~TheBatman
CE_ClueBat

Postby WalkAway » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:45 pm

WalkAway

Postby WalkAway » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:15 pm

Hell, it's easy to have low D levels even in the summer time. My doc discovered how low my levels were during the month of August, and it's most likely because I spent much of my time that summer indoors (work or study). From what I gathered in my research online (from credible sources, not some shitty LiveStrong article), some docs recommend up to 10,000 IU of D3 per day if you're severely deficient; others recommend between 2000-5000. All depends on your level and the normal range. I currently take 4000 IUs of vitamin D, 500mg of C and 250mcg of B12 per day, plus some St. John's Warts (good for depression, even helps me a bit with my anxiety). It takes a couple weeks to build up in your system, but after that, you feel much better.

Multivitamins are pretty useless, imo. If you're already deficient in some vitamin, they're not going to help your deficiency one bit. It's cumbersome, but it's probably better to just take the individual vitamins in whatever amount that your body needs.

EDIT: BTW, I'm obviously not a doctor, so take what I say with a grain of salt. :)
WalkAway

Next

Return to Anything Goes