• Advertisement

Law School

Just like the title says!

Re: Law School

Postby CE_ClueBat » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:03 pm

I took the GRE in summer 2009 to get it out of the way. I should have studied more, but I only left myself 4 weeks. It was not the best decision, but I wanted to get it out of the way. I've contemplated taking it again and studying more English, but I don't see getting, let's say, 100 more points in English will help me. I already spoke to a professor and she told me my grade is fine for a science major. As long as the math is good and I didn't completely bomb English, I'm fine. If I'm asked to get a higher grade, I will do it, but my school only asks for 1000 on the GRE. I am thinking about an online master's. Some good, reputable federal schools offer them now.
"Or, it could be that I don't know everything." ~TheBatman
CE_ClueBat

Advertisement

Postby sickofstupidity » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:29 pm

Lee, your post makes a lot of sense. We don't live in a very expensive area at all. Our median annual income is about $26K and she is making more than $40K at her job, plus she has a side business. The problem is, she comes from a family that puts a high importance on "keeping up with the Joneses." Me, I'm content to live where I live so I can save up money and buy a really nice place someday. She got out of college and immediately bought a $200,000 house (where we live, a $200,000 house is VERY expensive). Not to mention she had a car that worked perfectly fine and she went out and got a $21,000 loan for a USED vehicle. Yeah, it's only two years old, but I bought a nice new vehicle for $23,000 and I get twice the gas mileage she does.

She can afford her kids as far as basic necessities. She *can't* afford to keep taking on debt. She got an adjustable rate mortgage, so sometimes her payment is $1,300, sometimes it's $1,000, etc. I love her dearly, but she is making a lot of bad decisions. The worst part is, she criticizes anyone who doesn't think her brand of living is the best and only way. I am buying a place right now and she said, "wouldn't you rather live here by me?" I *almost* said, "If it means that my husband and I have to work a combined total of 120 hours a week and I end up miserable, then no," but I figured it would be too bitchy.
sickofstupidity

Postby CE_ClueBat » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:36 am

Wow, what a difference area makes. $26k median? Damn. I don't think you could afford to buy a house and survive here for at least $50k-$60k, depending on your debt. My place is $200k, and I have a really little place in an expensive neighborhood. Basically, my place is the cheapest place on the block. If it was in a shittier neighborhood, it would probably be much less, but I wanted a nice neighborhood since I'm single.

Of course, the salaries are much higher too. You wouldn't see an IT person getting offered $30k/year here. Secretaries make that much. My first IT job paid $55k+bonuses, and now I'm able to ask for much more since I have experience.

I can't knock the girl for liking nice things. I would go insane living poorly. That's why I am always working hard and started building my career at 22, but I do spend what I make and don't just save. I don't see a point to it. You can't take it with you! But that's just me.

Sometimes, I wish I could move away to those little cities. I could live so freakin comfortably, but I love my moneys, my trendy places and the ability to get anything I want right here. Plus, I can't really take small-town thinking. I think it would drive me insane if there was a church on every corner. We keep our religious people in check. lol

Downside is that even in nice neighborhoods there is a lot of crime, but if you keep your nose out of people's bidness, you aren't going to get fucked with. Of course there is always the chance. 4 cars got broken into at a nice park across the street from my house while we were at boot camp. I got spared somehow, but it's happened to me before too.
"Or, it could be that I don't know everything." ~TheBatman
CE_ClueBat

Postby sickofstupidity » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:10 am

Yeah Clue, area makes a huge difference. A "good" job in this area pays about $9/hour, $10 if you're lucky. A GREAT job pays $13 or $14/hour. Ever since the economy tanked, things are even worse. A family member recently went back to work after taking time off to care for a dying family member. It took her four months to find a job. She took it, because she's on her own now and needs to pay her bills, but she's making less now than she was making at the job she had 17 years ago. It's such an employer's market that they aren't even bothering to try to pay people a living wage.
sickofstupidity

Postby truthagainst » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:14 pm

The city really does make a huge difference! I live in a city that has a bad economy and lots of very high-quality universities and state colleges. We have RIT, which is very well-regarded. Yet the only tech jobs are more in the medical fields right now, and in the past this was an imaging (Kodak, Xerox, Bausch & Lamb) city. So the people who need websites go, "I'll ask an RIT student to do it for free." Yup, you can't even do it for free if you're not from that university. The few real jobs in the industry pay much less than other cities. Our cost of living is pretty low, but not THAT low.

Today, I showed my mother what I'd be making in a couple of other cities, showing her real job ads. She was floored. She thought I was full of shit before. She wants me to take on a career as a secretary to be more realistic. MFW $9/hr will never pay my bills or provide upward mobility, and I've already tried to get that kind of work for the past year, anyway... :roll:

I live poorly, and I AM going insane. Who ever enjoys it?

SoS, I'd kill to be making $40k right now! Though with kids, I can see how that's not a ton of money. Oh and lawl, I know exactly what kind of people you mean, those who are "house poor" used to try to rip my mother off for daycare all the time and whine they never had money. A really nice house does cost around $250k in my area, so I think we have similar COLs.

Back on topic: She shouldn't go to law school. Sounds dumb.
"You see, I have this little policy about honesty and ass-kicking, which is, if you ask for it, then I have to let you have it." - Taylor Mali
truthagainst

Location: That place where Louis CK says people just stand out on their porches and look depressed.

Postby Patrick » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:18 pm

or you could go to grad school in a different country! they don't care about the GRE.
Patrick

Postby sickofstupidity » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:26 pm

Sorry, just saw your post truthagainst. The sad part is, *she alone* makes $40K. With her husband's income, they gross about $75K per year. She just made dumb financial decisions -- they each had a perfectly good car. She decides that her two-door car is not suitable for taking the kids around, so they go buy a used Jeep for $21K. To top it all off, she made her husband get rid of his four-door car and she kept the two-door car. So the whole reason for the new car was to get rid of the two-door, but she kept it anyway!

Bottom line, I probably wouldn't care so much if she had a different attitude. She is so mean to her husband and just screams at him all the time and basically thinks marriage is another form of indentured servitude for men (her mother is the same way, so I can see where she gets it). One time, I picked her up to go to a concert, and she came out to the car with the newspaper job ads section. I asked why she had them and she said "XYZ (husband's name) doesn't make enough money, so I am going to find him a job." The guy already works TWO jobs for a total of 60+ hours per week AND he does everything around the house. I can't even imagine telling my friends that my husband "doesn't make enough money." We rarely fight, but even if we did, I wouldn't go badmouthing him to other people.
sickofstupidity

Previous

Return to Anything Goes