[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Google's Privacy Policy

• Advertisement

Google's Privacy Policy

Just like the title says!

Google's Privacy Policy

Postby Water's Fine » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:56 am

Can anyone give me a short version of this? As in, should I worry? I know for most of you it's like breathing, this internet stuff, but I'm not even on Facebook. I keep hearing about Google's new policy and drifting off.

I'm switching -- uh, modem? the way I get internet? -- early this week, and I guess I need a new email address so it's probably a good time to set up -- settings? To keep Google out, if possible. If I don't want them there.

Also, a message from Google popped up, saying, this is important. If anyone could tell me it's not, I would appreciate it.

Now, if anyone needs help converting Fahrenheit to Celsius so you know what the weather feels like in other countries -- that I can do.
Water's Fine

Advertisement

Re: Google's Privacy Policy

Postby CE_ClueBat » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:28 am

I'm a little pissed off at what they are doing. They are turning their search engine into social media, and it's fucked up. If I wanted to fucking hang out on FB all day, I'd do that. But I want to search for shit with Google, and it looks like I'm sandboxed into one of their trials that replace some ads with G+ profiles and I hate that shit.

Every ad I see now is the shit I've done in emails. For instance, I have a recruiter who hooked me up with a job interview. Well, that recruiter now freakin shows up for all my ads, and all I did was email with her.

WritersAccess was constantly on all of my ads too, because of emails. It's pissing me off.
"Or, it could be that I don't know everything." ~TheBatman
CE_ClueBat

Postby Page1News » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:07 pm

Clue, I hear ya.The whole thing is crazy. I can't see a way to separate my work life and social networking life. It pisses me off, too. For example, my Google workflow calendar pulled in my personal non-work stuff, so now I have people's birthdays mixed in with all my work deadlines. WTF?
You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.
Page1News

Postby SEO Speedwagon » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:47 pm

Count me as pissed as well. Working with Leapforce this past year, I've seen Google pushing more and more towards personalization and prioritizing what it thinks is most tailored to the specific user, as if an algorithm coupled with a bunch of button-pushing monkeys like myself can ever truly deem what an individual wants. As this has happened and as Google has pushed all its updates, it's become harder and harder to find what I actually want in a search.

Both of my idiotic online jobs are pretty much ruining the internet and making me want to go live in a treehouse or in that free RV park in California where all the rapscallions end up.

You could always out of Gmail/whatever before you use Google search or exclusively use an email client. But what's happening is a symptom of a larger, and in my opinion terrifying, trend. The weightless anonymity of the internet feels like it's slipping away, and people are just letting it happen without argument.
SEO Speedwagon

Postby The Batman » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:58 pm

Consider me one of the irritated. When Google+ first came out, it was worth a try. I was tired of Facebook's constantly changing privacy policies and having every other god damn site on the net wanting me to log in to my Facebook account.

Google+ could have been better. But no, Google had to actually work at being more invasive than Facebook. They've created a social media platform that no one asked for and no one really wants and they are pushing it on us like we are junkies looking for a fix.
"Wait, when is March Madness?" ~CE Cluebat
The Batman

Postby Water's Fine » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:36 pm

Okay, then. I noticed on DSS I'm followed around by products from research for articles I wrote. I thought it was some kind of DSS thing.

Well, that's too bad. I hate Facebook, because I'm always getting directed to it for public stuff, like political parties and information about television or movies, and then I can't see it unless I log in. It feels like a club I have to pay dues to to read what used to be in newspapers. And the Facebook stuff that's open to the public is boring, rarely updated, and usually linked to Twitter or vice versa, so there's nothing new, you're just forever clicking and feeling exploited.

So it's not good news that the culture is getting more pervasive.
Water's Fine

Postby Pardon_my_French » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:01 am

I noticed this malarkey. I hates it. Maybe it's time to Bing? So stupid. I'm always signed into my mail account and I don't want to have to sign out just to get a good search. wtf, Google?

Pardon_my_French

Postby CE_ClueBat » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:11 pm

"Or, it could be that I don't know everything." ~TheBatman
CE_ClueBat

Postby WalkAway » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:28 am

I hate that now my personal Picasa photos as well as things shared by my G+ friends are now included in search engine results. It's confusing and distracting. I'm just glad at least for that, they give you the option to hide personal results.
WalkAway

Postby Water's Fine » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:54 am

Can I impose another computer question?

Do you know free email programs that I can attach to Outlook? I'm having such a time trying to put together a new email address. I had to switch internet devices because the company pulled out, and my email address is going with it, which is working very well. I really like work email on Outlook.

Maybe if anyone can just tell me if it's possible...I get discouraged otherwise, when the notices keep coming up as fail. That's all I really need to know. "It's not it, it's you."

The good news is I have hotmail and gmail all tied up with my name. I don't really want gmail because of the google thing, but apparently it will work with Outlook, but not so far. I use Outlook 2003 (I know).
Water's Fine

Next

Return to Anything Goes