[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Looking for new laptop recommendations

• Advertisement

Looking for new laptop recommendations

Just like the title says!

Looking for new laptop recommendations

Postby WalkAway » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:22 pm

So it's looking like my nearly 5 year old HP laptop is on its deathbed (got me through college and almost my first year of full-time freelancing, so I can't complain). Although I have a good desktop computer, I like having the option to take my work with me wherever I go, so when this baby finally kicks the bucket, I'll want to get it replaced ASAP.

To be honest, I have no idea what laptop to buy. I know I definitely don't want an HP laptop again as they suck (with the one I'm using, the motherboard fucked up twice within the span of my first 2 years of using it, so I had to pay a guy on eBay to fix it). I'm not too fond of Dell, either. Ideally I'm looking for a laptop that is:

1. At least 14 inch screen
2. Good battery life
3. Intel processor
4. Priced between $400-$600 (the cheaper the better as I'm thinking I might need to buy it very soon, so no time to save up more)
5. Good for everyday use (I don't need it for playing movies, editing video etc. just need it for writing/programming work)

Any suggestions guys?
WalkAway

Advertisement

Re: Looking for new laptop recommendations

Postby EnigmaticJack » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:34 pm

I would say that you should apply for the Demand laptop grant, but they discontinued the grants in December and apparently weren't giving some of them out even before then. :P

In all seriousness, you might look at some of the ASUS lappies in your price range. I've got a friend with an ASUS and he loves it, and they've got some decent priced models. There are some Sony Vaio's in your range too, but I don't know if they're shit or not.
'Guys and girls, beware, the berg has warned you.'

Rule number one: The Doctor lies.
EnigmaticJack

Postby partygirl » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:40 pm

I got an ASUS over the summer. I am no techie, but so far so good and I use it all the time. The keyboard is the best.
partygirl

Postby The Batman » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:27 am

First, what's actually wrong with your laptop? Yes, I'm a fanboy, but installing Linux can sometimes give you some extra life on an old PC until you have money to buy a new one that you like. Do It. Of course, if you are about to experience critical hardware failures, that's not going to work for very long.

Second, you can't go too wrong with an ASUS. Do research the model that you are interested in to see if there are any issues with it. The higher end ASUS laptops run hot. That shouldn't be a problem in the price range you are looking at though.

P.S. You can't make too much fun of me for being a fanboy. It's not like I told her to get this beautiful, beautiful machine: *drool*
"Wait, when is March Madness?" ~CE Cluebat
The Batman

Postby WalkAway » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:11 am

WalkAway

Postby EnigmaticJack » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:46 am

If you're bluescreening and rebooting, it could be a sign of hardware problems. It could also just be an OS problem that would be fixed by reinstalling Windows or installing some alternate operating system of a type that I can't quite put a name to at the moment. :P
'Guys and girls, beware, the berg has warned you.'

Rule number one: The Doctor lies.
EnigmaticJack

Postby Water's Fine » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:00 am

Well, I'm not at all an expert, but I'll tell you this. I have a Toshiba of some sort, that's 5 and 1/2 years old, and it's never given me one minute grief. It has lots of memory, because I use a CAD program, so that's what I asked for. That's all I know. It's pretty loaded up lately.

It cost about $700 then, and probably the same now. When it packs it in, I'm getting exactly the same thing, because it's been so good. It's wearing out, but somebody who knew about computers could probably keep it going another 6 years. I don't know what size the screen is, it's a good size. The battery lasted about a year or so. I'm hard on batteries. I had to replace the adapter last year.

Now I'm knocking on wood all over the place because I don't want to have to replace it in the foreseeable future. ;)
Water's Fine

Postby The Batman » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:24 am

"Wait, when is March Madness?" ~CE Cluebat
The Batman

Postby partygirl » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:36 am

After reading about the heat issues I just want to add that I got a low-end Asus (maybe $400-$500 before add-ons, I don't remember) and it stays cool as a cuke no matter how long I use it.
partygirl

Postby Devil_youknow » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:48 am

I have a Dell and the battery life and touchpad blow.

Bottom Line: Stay away from Dells.
Devil_youknow

Next

Return to Anything Goes