[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Non-freelancing Career vs. Freelancing

• Advertisement

Non-freelancing Career vs. Freelancing

Just like the title says!

Non-freelancing Career vs. Freelancing

Postby Page1News » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:31 pm

About six months ago, I was able to jump back into my non-freelancing career, which I love. But I had spent a good three years cultivating a freelancing career that I also enjoy. I'm now finding that I don't have much time/energy to devote to the freelancing.

I've reached a proverbial fork in the road and have decided to cut loose my biggest client because I just can't do it all. I'm scared that once I quit, I'll regret it. The client essentially defines my freelancing career at this point, so once it's gone, I'll be left with two little side gigs.

For those of you who have non-freelancing careers, how do you manage to keep one foot in the freelancing world while maintaining a non-freelancing career?
You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.
Page1News

Advertisement

Re: Non-freelancing Career vs. Freelancing

Postby BurnCEs » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:56 pm

I've done both at various times, but never both at the same time. Most of my non-freelance jobs in the past have been fairly demanding and full-time. I'm also quite lazy and a natural-born coaster, so I've never been able to summon up the motivation or energy to tackle additional f/l work after a full day's non-f/l work and commute, etc.
BurnCEs

Postby Water's Fine » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:35 pm

I always had a theory that you had to commit to working for yourself -- you can't dabble, or play it safe by having a back-up. (The "freelance" word throws me off.) When I have to work with sub-contractors, I resent the weekend warriors, making a bit of cash, dictating the schedule, and not too invested in the quality.

I'm trying to get my head around the idea of working like normal people. I'm craving normal. I read an interview with a musician, and she said when you work by yourself, for yourself, you romanticize what life would be like with a fulltime job, and that really got me, because that's exactly where I am. Even two months ago, I didn't realize it, but now I think -- let someone else pay for the heat and electricity, and let me clear my head and concentrate on what I'm doing. Of course, I realize it works the other way around too -- the grass is always greener.

If I did succumb to that lure, I don't think I'd be doing side jobs. I really don't want to do it as a hobby, though I know lots of people do. I find it fairly demanding.

Although writing might be different than what I do. My sister made a good career for herself writing and editing both as a contractor and employee, but she was always precocious.
Water's Fine

Postby Page1News » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:16 pm

My situation reminds me of a classic Stephen Stills song: If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

Well, the one I truly love is back in my life. If it leaves again, I'll just love the next thing that comes along.
You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.
Page1News

Postby undercover » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:35 am

undercover

Postby Water's Fine » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:00 am

Water's Fine

Postby liarmcliarface » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:24 am

I'm in this boat, too. I wanna wash dishes. That's my dream job right now. Hot water blasting out of a commercial faucet that hangs down like a metal anaconda. Dishes going from nasty to clean in that push-through sanitizer machine. My t-shirt all soaked on the front, but it's not uncomfortable because I'm sweating from the labor. Coming home smelling like Italian food and dust, showering it off, kicking back and not thinking about how the fuck I'm going to fit my beautiful round peg into some client's terrifyingly square hole.
"You gotta keep your worlds apart!" - George Costanza
liarmcliarface

Postby liarmcliarface » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:45 am

liarmcliarface

Postby liarmcliarface » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:53 am

liarmcliarface

Postby Page1News » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:23 am

Well, it's a done deal. I now only have two little toes left in the freelance world. I still have a virtual cubicle, so now all of my energy can be focused on living the life I want.

There are many pros and cons to being self-employed, but right now -- at my age -- I'm relieved to be a salaried peon. The hard work it takes to be successfully self-employed sucked the life out of me. The constant quest for decent clients and the unpredictable nature of freelancing stressed me out beyond belief.

Kudos to all of you who remain successfully self-employed, as writers, editors or any other profession. It takes an enormous amount of hard work, fortitude and courage --- all of which I'm too dang tired to tackle anymore. :P
Page1News

Next

Return to Anything Goes