[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Slave to the Computer?

• Advertisement

Slave to the Computer?

Just like the title says!

Slave to the Computer?

Postby Devil_youknow » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:22 pm

Seriously, just wondering if anybody feels like they've been a slave to their computer and just want to get away from it but don't know how.

I work in marketing, but I do a lot of computer work at my job so I'm on it all day at work. I freelance during my lunch hour. I go on Facebook or play around at night. I have to be busy at all times so if I'm not doing something I get on the computer.

I think I need to break the habit. I miss the real world. :(
Devil_youknow

Advertisement

Re: Slave to the Computer?

Postby Groundskeeper Willie » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:35 pm

I know the feeling. I also know the solution: here's an about it. ;)
"Ladies and Gentlemen, this guy gets it." ~thebesig, RIP
Groundskeeper Willie

Postby Water's Fine » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:18 pm

Oh yes. I've substituted the internet for the insatiable reading I used to do. I miss the days when I wasn't connected at home. I don't use Facebook though, and the appeal of emailing has definitely worn off.

If I turn off the computer a couple of hours before I go to bed, the whole evening feels different. You have to do something a certain number of times -- 17? 37? 53? -- for it to wear a groove in your brain and become a habit.

A few weeks ago, when I gave up on Demand, and shut down the computer, I went for a walk in the cold winter evening air. I was not in a good mood, because I was pretty anxious, to be honest. But it's like I came to my senses on that walk, and my frame of mind shifted. And so did my relationship with the computer.

So I suggest you steal an hour or so of computer time, and take a walk, and see if it helps.
Water's Fine

Postby DMS Tech Team » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:40 pm

I feel for you, Devil. I feel like I am always in front of this damn machine. Hell, my wife calls it my girlfriend lol.

With the slow and agonizing death of DMS, I have been searching like wild trying to find job. This means that even after I am done wading through the BS titles to find the last few nuggets of gold, I still have to spend hours searching for new opportunities and sending out query letters. Not to mention working on my e-book and website.

It is sometimes tough to balance your work-life balance and literally having your work at home with you makes it all the more difficult.

I am still trying to figure it out myself. :ugeek:
Fixin' web servers, four steps at a time!
DMS Tech Team

Postby Page1News » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:54 pm

I can relate. I dropped my main freelance gig (my own doing), and one gig just emailed me today to say that site production has ceased. I'm now down to my non-freelance career and one little freelance gig. And I'm happy to not have many irons in the fire anymore.

My day job requires constant computer use and Skyping. And now that I only have one freelance gig, I'm gonna limit that to one day a week. The key for me is turn off the laptop at a certain time. If I don't, I can be on it 24/7. Before I went on vacation in December, I felt like my laptop had become an extra appendage. I've slowly been able to get my life back. If you can, just shut it off and forget about it. Everything on the 'net will be there tomorrow. :) On that note, goodnight Internet world!
You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.
Page1News

Postby WalkAway » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:55 pm

I definitely know the feeling. I majored in IT, took tons of online classes, and now I'm freelancing full-time until the right regular full-time job comes along.....and even when it does, that will involve a lot of computer-oriented work. So yeah, my computer is pretty much a permanent, major fixture in my life, and I can already tell it's not particularly healthy to spend 10-12 hours per day at one. In the past couple years, since my computer usage has greatly increased, I've lost my 20-20 vision (now near sighted), I've gained 10lbs, and I've started having migraines. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I think the PC has at least a little something to do with it.

Anyway, I'm working on reducing my computer usage. It's hard to cut back because it's so easy to become a mindless zombie to the computer--just sitting there randomly browsing stupid stuff. I'm trying to force myself to only use the computer for work and not pointless browsing (I replace the pointless browsing with something else, like cleaning or play guitar/bass or something else non-computer related), and also structuring my schedule so that there's more time where I'm not in front of the computer. And, in the future, I may outsource some of my web development duties (for my own websites) to others, so I won't spend as much time working on those outside of my freelance work.

I think it also helps to force yourself to get out of the house. Even if it's just to go visit a friend or do some grocery shopping. Or even better, a trip to the gym. I'm in the process of joining one and will hopefully get into a gym class or two. Good opportunity to get my ass in shape and also meet some new people.

Bottom line is this: being a slave to your computer is not healthy, so having a good balance is crucial. I'm still working on it.
WalkAway

Postby disgruntled » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:28 pm

Yeah, I feel that way frequently. Having lots of non-computer-related hobbies helps, so I dance, quilt, knit, read, hike, etc. But I still find it sucking me in... especially since I don't own a TV, so if I want to watch a movie or TV episode... bam, the computer comes out. I try to draw the line between work and play by physically distancing myself from the computer if I'm not working. I set it up across the room where I can see the screen/listen to the radio/etc but don't have to be physically near it.

Oh, and I find that varying my workplace/working position helps a lot for when I have to be at the computer. Sitting, standing, coffeeshop, library, etc. And I got this awesome mobile Internet service (it's basically my own little hotspot that works anywhere I can get a cell signal) so I intend to do a lot of working in parks and other nice places over the coming summer. Makes me feel less slavey.

My ultimate dream is completely unplugging from the computer over weekends... still working on that one.
disgruntled

Postby WalkAway » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:00 pm

WalkAway

Postby Devil_youknow » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:36 am

Devil_youknow

Postby queenoffckall » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:49 pm

queenoffckall

Next

Return to Anything Goes