[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - The freelance gods were kind to me yesterday.

• Advertisement

The freelance gods were kind to me yesterday.

Just like the title says!

The freelance gods were kind to me yesterday.

Postby DMS Tech Team » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:15 pm

So yesterday I was feeling pretty shitty and really looking at my current living situation in poor light. The job market where I am is non-existent and money is slowly starting to go away. DMS hasn't given me much in stability lately and my other clients are really hit or miss. I have a job offer making about $50K a year in a shop, but its far away and would involve me relocating. I wouldn't be able to bring my family along with me for a few months, due to finances, and that would be a tough pill to swallow. So there's the back story.

Well, I got an email yesterday that I, for the second month in a row, won the "Writer of the Month" award with a client and am getting cool $500 bonus on the 15th. That was a nice surprise, but the real surprise was still to come.

I wrote an auto article for one of my "Love List" clients on Writer Access, it was like 300 words for $13 and I really needed the time away from the monotony of DMS "Style." Turns out it was an audition piece, as the offered me the opportunity to write 20+ blog posts per month for several car dealerships at a "significantly higher" rate than I wrote the audition piece for.

I figure like $17 for 20 titles and that's two fewer days per week on DMS.

So the freelance gods certainly loved me yesterday lol. :D

TL;DR

I was depressed yesterday, money is tight and DMS sucks (of course). Suddenly things took a turn for the better. Got a fat bonus from a client for winning a contest and earned a new client that I didn't even know I was auditioning for. Niiiice! :mrgreen:
Fixin' web servers, four steps at a time!
DMS Tech Team

Advertisement

Re: The freelance gods were kind to me yesterday.

Postby DMS Tech Team » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:57 am

DMS Tech Team

Postby BurnCEs » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:11 am

Good news, well done DMSTT. Freelancing always seems to be either drought or deluge, so glad you're getting some sweet gigs.
BurnCEs

Postby CE_ClueBat » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:21 am

Good for YOU, techie! That rocks! It always seems like shit hits you hard and life feels totally fucked up, and then there is that one little good thing that happens sooner or later. Hopefully, it's more sooner than later and it sounds like it was just in time for you. GRATS!!!!!
"Or, it could be that I don't know everything." ~TheBatman
CE_ClueBat

Postby DMS Tech Team » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:30 pm

DMS Tech Team

Postby WalkAway » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:12 pm

Congrats DMSTT! Like Burn said, freelancing is definitely one of those things where you either have too much or too little work. I'm sure that's especially stressful for a person with a family. Even for a single person with bills, it's not easy.

That's awesome about the potential eLance client. I've been trying to break into eLance lately as I've gotten tired of wading through the many $2 per article projects on oDesk, but it's been tough to get a proposal accepted because I have no project history there. Finally had my first proposal accepted today and it's for a one-week project that will pay for 3/4 of my weekly earnings goal, so between that and my normal freelance hourly gigs, I'll be sitting pretty for next week's pay. :mrgreen:

Anyway, it's good to see us DSS'ers doing well in the post-DMS world.
WalkAway

Return to Anything Goes