[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - A bit of self-promotion

• Advertisement

A bit of self-promotion

Just like the title says!

A bit of self-promotion

Postby wordmercenary » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:48 am

I just did a short book under the Kindle Direct Program with Amazon. It is available for free to download until Tuesday as part of my promotional agreement. So... feel free to download a copy. The Amazon summary may sound a bit "get-rich-quick" in nature, but the book really is pretty much on the level. It's meant as an introduction to mobile apps for non-technical types.

Here's the link:
For the love of money
wordmercenary

Advertisement

Re: A bit of self-promotion

Postby Psycho_Insomniac » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:33 pm

Can you download it to a Nook? Sounds cool.
Psycho_Insomniac

Postby wordmercenary » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:27 pm

Unfortunately, no. Signing on with KDP meant I had to give Amazon exclusive rights.
For the love of money
wordmercenary

Postby Whats_A_Breadboard » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:43 am

Mercenary, do you have any suggestions for sites that tell a writer how to use Word to format a book for Kindle? The ones I've found are contradictory. Some suggest not using page numbers, and some say I'm supposed to. Once I get the formatting down, I know I'm supposed to use Mobipocket Creator.
I am impelled into a stupor of incredulity, as I find your horribly underwhelming intellect to be horribly overwhelming and horribly boring
Whats_A_Breadboard

Postby wordmercenary » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:51 am

I used Amazon's own summary formatting guide here:

Basically it recommends:
[*] No page numbers since type in Kindle is fluid based on font size and orientation
[*] Manual page break at end of each chapter

There are a few contradictions in parts of Amazon's site. One says to export as filtered HTML to submit to Amazon, and other parts say go right with the DOC format. No need to do the mobi format any longer. I did the DOC format, and from checking the end result on a Kindle device and Kindle for iPad, it looks pretty sweet.

One thing I found weird on Amazon's recommendations is using a cover size ratio of 1.6. Given my rudimentary math skills, I think that would mean 1000 pixels tall by 600 pixels wide. With that orientation, it looks unusually tall and narrow.

Another contradiction was max pixel size. The latest version of Amazon's site say for best results submit longest side at 2500 pixels. A different part of the site says something much smaller. I ended up going with 1875 x 2500 in a format that looked equally good in gray scale or color.

Lastly, a word on the progress of this so far: I cannot stress the usefulness of the free promotional period. In four days free promotion, 1000 people downloaded my book out of mostly the US, UK, and Germany. For the two categories it was listed, it hit #1 in each category for free titles.

Some may say "big deal, it was free, of course people downloaded", and that is true. The purpose of the exercise though was to get it some eyeball time on Amazon's site and get people talking about it. Even though it has gone to paid status now, it is still the #14 best seller in the software category, leaving it on the first page for that genre. It continues to sell strong every day since across those three countries. Frankly, I am very surprised at the progress.

My words of advice to anyone thinking to publish something for the Kindle is to do it now. If you have any ideas, start to get them on the KDP publishing program. I have been watching some discussions in the major black hat marketing forums. People are starting to notice that there is money to be made. Hell, even DMS is starting to offload their crap into the Kindle store. Strike while the iron is hot, my friends. Otherwise, it is going to become saturated and harder to make a buck.
For the love of money
wordmercenary

Postby Psycho_Insomniac » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:27 pm

I have a friend who has self-published several books. She uses Lulu and loves it.
Psycho_Insomniac

Postby Whats_A_Breadboard » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:41 pm

Mercenary, thanks alot for your invaluable advice. Guess I'll try the free thing. Anyway that's great news about your book doing so well. Hope some of your good luck rubs off on me!

Psycho, I had a young man I was mentoring publish with Lulu, and I am highly displeased. He is going to port to Amazon when he gets a chance.
I am impelled into a stupor of incredulity, as I find your horribly underwhelming intellect to be horribly overwhelming and horribly boring
Whats_A_Breadboard

Postby Whats_A_Breadboard » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:54 pm

Mercenary, I finally finished my book around 3 am, and it is already up. Your advice saved me a lot of grief. I also selected a 3 day free promotional period. I purchased a copy of your book today, out of gratitude.

I am a very good programmer. I’ve never written an app before but think I’ll take a stab at it. Your advice has been spot on so far!
Whats_A_Breadboard

Return to Anything Goes