• Advertisement

Goddamn, I'm Bored. And Drunk. Again.

Just like the title says!

Goddamn, I'm Bored. And Drunk. Again.

Postby wordmercenary » Thu May 03, 2012 12:28 pm

Seriously, this is the only place I actually hang out online, and it has been so dead lately, I'm bored.

Well, here's news - I just accepted a new job offer in Singapore, and will be leaving Japan in the next 6 weeks. It will likely mean I do about 99% less writing than I am doing now since the job is nothing related to turning out anything creative. It has been a fun 2-1/2 years, but I guess it's time to get back to real life.
For the love of money
wordmercenary

Advertisement

Re: Goddamn, I'm Bored. And Drunk. Again.

Postby WeaselPop » Thu May 03, 2012 5:20 pm

So, what's the job?

Real life is a heartless wanker.
WeaselPop

Postby wordmercenary » Fri May 04, 2012 1:57 pm

Until 2004, I was a business developer for SAP. I left that wacky life behind in a career change where I was determined to have a career that Makes a Difference® and didn't just make some company rich. I did that for the next 6 years, taking a 50% pay-cut in the process. This was before I kicked it into overdrive with the meaningful career stuff, and left my corporate gig to write full-time while living in exotic locales. Most people have described me as being on "sabbatical" since 2010. I've wrote a lot, done two books, and had some interesting experiences.

Well, in the meantime, my former CEO also left his corporate gig and started a new company a few years back. It's a profitable operation, and deals in an area I am fairly familiar with. He is planning to retire in 3 years when he hits 55. He contacted me a couple weeks back, and said he wanted me to return to my business developer ways with the expectation that when he retires, I will take over for him. It is an understatement to say I was not expecting this. I knew I was his favorite mid-level exec back in the day, but am surprised that glowy feeling has lasted more than a decade.

Negotiations, something, something, and something later, I am heading back to the corporate world. It's not a huge company, but like I said, it is profitable and has room to grow.
For the love of money
wordmercenary

Postby wordmercenary » Fri May 11, 2012 11:35 am

Update: My work visa was rejected. Turns out they let too many of us pale faces in over the last 10 years. Looks like my butt is planted in Tokyo for the time-being.

PS. Drunk again.
For the love of money
wordmercenary

Return to Anything Goes