[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - CEs Experience Level

• Advertisement

CEs Experience Level

Got a suggestion for Demand Studios? Let's make their Zombies come over here for suggestions...

CEs Experience Level

Postby Patrick » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:44 pm

My personal favorite.

Only allow CEs with X amount of experience to edit on writers with X amount of experience. I know there's probably a discrepancy between the numbers, but the computer matrix guys can figure something out.

The fact that a brand new CE can shut down a writer with YEARS of experience is just plain wrong. Yes, writers can go through the appeals process, but it shouldn't even get that far.
Patrick

Advertisement

Re: CEs Experience Level

Postby JulianneHarte » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:06 pm

Check out http://ayearofbaking.blogspot.com, one woman's mission to bake every day for a year!
JulianneHarte

Postby SoAnnoying » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:19 pm

Or... how bout this.

Everyone gets accepted to DS for some reason or another. Some people have no real writing experience at all, but are accepted because of their knowledge and experience in another field. Why not pair experience? It will do a gardener no good to edit my topics. I could probably lie and get away with a lot.
It will do a veternarian no good if a mechanic edits their topics.

DS should send topics to sepcific CE's! Sounds good to me.
SoAnnoying

Postby disCONTENTed » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:37 pm

disCONTENTed

Postby JulianneHarte » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:54 pm

Check out http://ayearofbaking.blogspot.com, one woman's mission to bake every day for a year!
JulianneHarte

Postby Page1News » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:00 pm

This is just my opinion, but I truly believe that talented editors with at least five years of experience jump off the DS CE Titanic as soon as they realize what, exactly, is involved. I personally know seven editors who have called it quits at DS. DS CEs can't make any money, and it's not really editing work anyway, at least not the kind of copy editing done at print publications. I believe this is why DS decreased the experience requirement to three years.
Last edited by Page1News on Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.
Page1News

Postby disCONTENTed » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:04 am

P1N, I didn't realize they had reduced the experience requirement to 3 years for CEs. That would explain a lot.

I think a tough probationary period as I've described would tighten up the ranks and DS would end up with a better group of freelancers. Survival of the fittest.

It's occurred to me that some of the problems we have may be a direct result of DS having no regard for the newbies and inexperienced writers. They figure they have nothing to lose by treating them like shit because the supply of aspiring know-nothings is endless. But the more experienced and skilled writers and editors get trapped in the same meat grinder of childish rules and rigid procedures, and that's where the friction comes in.

Sooner or later, somebody's going to realize that it won't take much to skim the cream from the top of DS' workforce, and they'll set up a system that treats writers and editors more fairly, but has more stringent requirements for being hired.

DS will be left with the dregs who can't handle topics much more complicated than "How to Turn a Doorknob" and its sites will become even bigger jokes than they already are.
disCONTENTed

Postby Page1News » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:08 am

I wanted to double-check on that requirement: Found on a DS online advertisement.

Qualifications:

• Minimum of 3 years as a Managing, Line, Features, Section or Associate Editor at a newspaper, magazine, book publisher or publication
• Unwavering attention to detail
• Comfortable with occasional interaction with our writing community
You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.
Page1News

Postby disCONTENTed » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:20 pm

disCONTENTed

Postby LaughAMinute » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:41 pm

A really simple solution would be to actually require work REFERENCES for applying CEs.

To work for such a low wage, some of these CES have to be desperate. What would drive someone to work for pennies with editing experience? Bad performance.

Yes, the economy has forced some into this situation, but after seeing some of the CE comments, I get the feeling that newspapers going down the tubes had nothing to do with their unemployment.
LaughAMinute

Return to Demand Suggestions