[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Senior writers do not need CE's

• Advertisement

Senior writers do not need CE's

Got a suggestion for Demand Studios? Let's make their Zombies come over here for suggestions...

Re: Senior writers do not need CE's

Postby jekhyl » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:27 pm

The problem is that the scores are arbitrary so they really aren't a good gauge of writing skill. Unless the writer really universally sucks.

It' not about waiting 12 hours to get reviewed. It's that you have better things to do. Once you write the article, why revisit it in any form? And what about high volume producers?

So, you write 10 articles on Monday. Tuesday you write another 10 and Edit the 10 you did on Monday. Effectively, you are giving yourself rewrites and doing double the work for the same amount of money.

CEs are dumbfucks but unless you have a high rewrite rate, it's really not worth it to have to edit your own stuff.

Time is money. Why waste yours doing double work?
Why? Because FUCK YOU, that's why.
jekhyl

Advertisement

Postby Ducky » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:38 pm

Well, you make some valid points there. My rewrite percentage has been sitting at less than 7 percent for the past six months, so you're right that it would be extra time for me personally.

The main reason I would like it is because I would be able to pick those titles that I could write a decent article about, but currently have to pass up because I know there's something about it that's going to set the CE off if I happen to get one of the idiots, like some nuance about the wording in the title or whatever.

Due to just being able to write the fucking thing without worrying about the clown on the other end, my productivity would probably go up and the time I spent self-editing would balance out (maybe not completely, but at least partially) with the time I now have to spend searching for titles and analyzing them to make sure I'm avoiding any potential conflict as much as possible.

And yeah, the scores are fucked. I don't have much to add for that other than that some checking on the scores CEs are giving really needs to be done. Some score too high and some score too low. Maybe scores wouldn't be the best thing to use. Maybe take the top X% of writers for the program or some solid number like the top 250 or 500 writers or whatever.

The number of articles written thing would be a really important piece of the puzzle too because you can't take the person who scored 4.7/4.7 for the month but only wrote five articles (that guy likely just got lucky) over the person who had 4.2/4.3 and wrote 300 articles.

The program would screw the guy who writes 10 articles a month, gets some bitch CEs and winds up with 3.2/3.4 for the month or whatever. But that guy probably doesn't give a shit about the CE process anyway since he writes so little.
Ducky

Postby justanotherwriter » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:11 am

On the contrary, if we were free to edit ourselves, our productivity would go up, not down.

I write 10 articles a day 5 days a week. I go over my articles from the day before before I start on the current day's. I consider it a day's work and I'm usually done in 5-7 hours.

:roll: Not really seeing your point.
justanotherwriter

Postby El Hombre Pablo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:47 pm

I believe you do need to have an editor to an extent, but not one of those brain dead, vodka slamming oxycotin eating, cough syrup drinking. Wal-Mart shopping, mouth-breathers that they have as editors right now. I think that fills out Eve pretty well. The system is flawed and the flaws start at the top and as they say about the proverbial shit, it rolls downhill.
Last edited by El Hombre Pablo on Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Well Goober brought down some homegrown hay, It whopped me upside the head I never felt that way, Aunt Bea said we'd be in dutch if the Sherriff ever caught us smokin that stuff" BR5-49
El Hombre Pablo

Postby BatManuel » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:18 pm

BatManuel

Postby justanotherwriter » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:47 pm

justanotherwriter

Postby prosetitute » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:46 pm

I self edit, but not the way I do when I'm writing something I care about. Basically, I give it a quick scan to check for glaring errors. I may change a phrase if it's really poorly constructed, but I don't worry about it being perfect.

When I edit my own work, I often end up rewriting large sections, making additions, taking things away. Whatever makes it flow better. But for DS, fuck that. Anything that would take more than 30 seconds to correct goes through "as is."

I know that about %75 of the time some assclown CE is gonna change things around so it makes even less sense than it did before, so why bother making it perfect?
"Whoa! This guy has taffy!"
prosetitute

Postby BatManuel » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:57 am

BatManuel

Postby Patrick » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:25 pm

That's kind of one of the first things that i suggested:

Writers that have X amount of articles can only be edited by editors who have done X amount of articles.

It's not hard to program. Would result in a much speedier queue. Experienced editors would still be able to go back and edit newbie writer articles.

I guess DS doesn't do this because it would back up certain parts of the writer/editor queue. But, maybe not. You're pairing the experienced people, so maybe things would move quicker.

Anyway, that's a concrete suggestion that is not difficult at all to implement. I know. I'm a programmer.

10 print "demand studios sucks";
20 goto 10

awesome.

Newcastle Brown Ale - $1.50/bottle on sale.

Gotta love the Geordies.
Patrick

Previous

Return to Demand Suggestions