[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Butt-Kissing Expert Boilerplate

• Advertisement

Butt-Kissing Expert Boilerplate

The CEs have one, why not the writers? Insert your canned responses for CEs here.

Re: Butt-Kissing Expert Boilerplate

Postby disCONTENTed » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:58 am

Kathy, I started with DS in early summer 2009 and I don't believe I have EVER quoted guidelines back to a CE.

In the DS forums writers seem to say they do it a lot, but to me it's just a way to get a CE's dander up and risk rejection for spite. They're human. I feel sure they do it. In fact, I think it's happened to me twice for standing my ground.

On the other hand, my rewrites usually don't involve guideline-related issues. They're usually questions about content, rather than structure and the writing itself. And I've taken on very few topics that weren't factually straightforward. Forget those "ideas" titles. DS doesn't pay me enough to be creative.

What would solve this WHOLE issue would be for DS to stop shoveling "layers" onto confusing, flawed guidelines and consolidate everything into one "DS Stylebook" that both writers and CEs follow. And it should ONLY contain what isn't already covered by AP, with maybe one page of exceptions (all in ONE place) to address the SEO issues.
disCONTENTed

Advertisement

Postby alice » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:03 am

It's easier just to make the requested changes than to argue about the guidelines.

When I first started I did study all the guidelines conscientiously, and every time I wasn't sure about a style question while I was writing, I would look it up. After a while, though, I realized that was taking a LOT of time, and that I couldn't do a "perfect" job on it anyway, because some CEs were not themselves familiar with the guidelines, and because DS kept on changing them without letting everyone know.

So now I just do the best I can without looking things up, and I figure it's the CEs job to catch and change any style issues. Whether I made a mistake, and the CEs correct it to follow the guidelines, or whether I was right, and the CEs change it to something that contradicts the guidelines, is no longer my concern. Life is just too short to worry about these things. ;-) Besides, I don't think that readers will care, or even notice, most of these things.

It's been much harder to let go of caring when CEs messed with the substance of what I've written, but I've trained myself to let that go too, for the most part.
alice

Postby jekhyl » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:22 pm

I don't think she's asking us if we have corrected the CEs. A lot of people don't, even if they know there's a problem, because it's not worth the hassle.

I think that what she's really asking is if anyone, else, has noticed an increase CE "violations" of the guidelines as compared to '09 and earlier.

For my part, I started at the end of '08 and I really haven't noticed much of a difference.
Why? Because FUCK YOU, that's why.
jekhyl

Postby alice » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:51 pm

Oh. I've been at DS a long time, on and off, and haven't noticed much of a difference either.
alice

Postby disCONTENTed » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:47 pm

Can't say that I've noticed any degradation or improvement in CE work. Both CEs and writers seem to be just as confused as ever.

I was like alice. When I first started, I pored over the guidelines for hours before I spent 4 hours writing a fact sheet, and kept checking back when I was unsure of something. But after I got a good dose of what was being done to the articles, I gave that up.

It doesn't matter if you know the guidelines inside-out or not; getting it "right" is a crap shoot. Some CEs will follow the guidelines, and others won't. Whether they really know what they're talking about or not, they'll "advise" you on what's right, and that's why the DS forums are full of threads discussing confusion.

Since we all know DS talks quality but really only cares about quantity, it makes sense for us to do likewise -- and use a pen name.
disCONTENTed

Postby Page1News » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:01 am

:D
Last edited by Page1News on Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.
Page1News

Postby Priceless04 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:11 pm

Priceless04

Postby LaughAMinute » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:47 am

I thought this thread was going to be a list of quotes from Metallion..
Sorry.. proceed.
LaughAMinute

Postby ImaWriter » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:45 pm

ImaWriter

Previous

Return to Writer Boilerplates