[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Questions From a Suite Newbie

• Advertisement

Questions From a Suite Newbie

suite101.com

Questions From a Suite Newbie

Postby MsMoneyPenny » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:29 am

Not sure if anyone even comes down to this part of the forum but I'll give it a go.

So I've had a Suite 101 account for a while now but just never got around to writing any articles for them. Well, now that my goal is to ween myself off of DMS this year I'd like to get some articles up so I can start getting some monthly residuals coming in.

If anyone here who writes for Suite could give me a little insight into a few of questions I'd appreciate it.

How is Suite with articles aimed at specific products? I know it can't sound like a commercial, but how about something like “How to Use K-Y Jelly” ( :D You get the idea)

Also, do you do any backlinking or promotion of your articles or, if you choose your keywords well, does Suite have enough Google lovin' to stand on its own?

How are the editors? Less or more of a pain in the ass than Demand CEs?

Thanks!
MsMoneyPenny

Advertisement

Re: Questions From a Suite Newbie

Postby BurnCEs » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:39 am

Moneypenny, I can give you my personal view/experience with them:

I enjoy writing for them. It’s relatively free and easy compared to DMS. You can write about whatever you want. There’s no bar on naming specific products, but (obviously) avoid anything that smacks of advertorial.

What I really like is that you can register as a Google news writer via Suite and do some news pieces for them, too. This is great if you miss proper news journalism.

Suite has great link juice. I think all of my articles are on the first two to three pages of Google and several on the first page/top positions for certain key phrases. However, you need to key word the tits off the piece before writing it. I use the Adword keyword tool to target low competition/high search key words, phrases. You then need to spunk those key words into the piece when writing. Key word/phrase in headline/sub-heads/intro/pic caption seems to get Google wet for it.

You can link to your other related articles, too. Nothing to stop you linking to the article from external sites if you want to. I have had a lot of Facebook “likes” and Twitter pick-up on some of my topical pieces.
Editors are very low profile. They usually look at the piece within 24 hours of it going live. I have only ever heard from them on minor formatting issues. I find them polite, constructive, helpful – a world away from the cunt-brained CEs at DMS.

The downside is that, at first, you’ll feel like you are working for nothing. I only started to rake in beer money after I had about 30 or so articles up. I have more than 60 now and the income is $200 or so dollars per month. I’m not going to retire on that, of course, but it’s completely passive income once the work is done. I think the top earners on Suite get around $3000ish a month, so it’s possible to get a reasonable return. Of course, these are the exception rather than the norm. The key to good revenue is high PVs and that goes back to the need for thorough key word research.

Like most revenue-share sites, info about the cut you get is completely opaque. However, Suite have promised greater transparency on this. The word on the ground is that the writer gets around 40% of ad revenue, with another 10% added when you hit 50 articles.

The site and CMS can be as glitchy as fuck, too. They are forever fucking with the servers and shit. Really annoying when you want to file a piece and the darned thing is down.
BurnCEs

Postby MsMoneyPenny » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:26 am

BurnCEs, you da man! Thank you so much for taking the time to give me the Suite 101 lowdown.

I like the sound of the editors there much more than at DMS, and the Google News option sounds interesting. I'll have to check that out. I'm also glad that Suite has enough Google lovin' to get on the first page without a shit load of backlinking.

Awesome, now at least I'm not going in blind. Thanks again!
MsMoneyPenny

Postby yes_that_anne » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:29 am

Seconding the thanks for the help. I've only just begun to make use of my Suite101 account. :D
yes_that_anne

Postby CuzISaidSo » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:19 pm

So I've only been getting $10 every 2 or 3 months from Suite because I don't research keywords, don't make my articles keyword dense, and have less than 10 articles posted, huh?

Well that makes sense. I never wrote much for them because I couldn't figure out WHAT to write...obviously, the topics I'm interested in don't make a ton of money. I'll do some keyword researching today and write a couple.
CuzISaidSo

Postby JulianneHarte » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:35 am

Check out http://ayearofbaking.blogspot.com, one woman's mission to bake every day for a year!
JulianneHarte

Postby CuzISaidSo » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:47 am

CuzISaidSo

Postby BurnCEs » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:17 am

I spend longer on the keyword research than I do on the article. Personally, I go for a mix of highly topical, seasonal and evergreen pieces. I've no idea if this is the right approach or not, I'm just spreading my bets and experimenting. I do know that if you hit the crest of a topical wave just right with a piece, you can surf some fantastic PVs out of the fucker for a few days.

The annoyance with Suite is that, although you get great PV data, you don't know which articles make the money. So, it could be that a relatively low PV piece, but with a good click thru rate and high-paying advertisers, makes far more cash than a real crowd-puller.

I think it's worth investing time in Suite, it has lots of potential as a great source of passive income if you hit on the right formula.

I haven't bothered backlink building to any suite articles, either. I hate that shit enough when I have to do it for my own websites. SEO can go swivel, I reckon half of it is fucking counter productive anyway.
BurnCEs

Postby demandsucks » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:14 am

Yeah, I'm pretty close to the mystical 50 mark. Only been doing it for a few months. So now I'm averaging like about $12/month. I think the best way to go about it is just try to write 1 a day. From what I can tell, it looks like you have to have at least a few hundred articles on the site before you can start making real money.

As other people have pointed out, though - they are great at getting your article at the top of Google, though.
demandsucks
Site Admin

Postby MsMoneyPenny » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:58 am

MsMoneyPenny

Next

Return to Suite 101