• Advertisement

Sometimes 250 words is not enough

breakstudios.break.com

Sometimes 250 words is not enough

Postby D.H. » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:05 pm

Had a BS article that was written to a highly specific title, such that there were only two items that actually met the criteria. I stretched myself to get to 250+ words.

Article was rejected, for not enough content.

I decided to test my theory about automated rewrite approval, so I changed nothing and resubmitted. Shot down my theory, because the editor flagged me and told me they found nothing was changed in the text.

So I waited a few days and resubmitted with a couple more sentences. It came in at 300 words, and was finally approved. I didn't add any real value to the article with those extra words, but I guess I appeased the editor enough.

Two lessons learned: Sometimes 250 words is not enough for Break. Rewrites do pass through human eyes.
D.H.

Advertisement

Re: Sometimes 250 words is not enough

Postby marsha » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:49 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I've noticed that BS's word count feature is not accurate. Normally it would not let you submit an article with less than 250 words, but lately I've been writing articles where the word counter says 275ish and it won't let me submit because it's less than 250 words. Really frustrating because I can't tell how much I need to add.
marsha

Postby D.H. » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:04 pm

I've noticed that too. One of the rare times that I had to inch the word count up until it took. It was closer to 275 words. Editorial still came down on me.
D.H.

Postby anaesthetic » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:33 pm

Was this a list? I ask because you mention two things (guess it could also be a How-To). I have taken advantage of the option to make lists more like About articles if there are fewer than three items.
anaesthetic

Postby Xenia_Onatopp_007 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:27 pm

Same here - their word count is always higher than the real count.

I never submit at 250 words anymore. I always get a reject for "thin content." Then change the word count minimum, duh!
Xenia_Onatopp_007

Return to Break Studios