[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Bright Hub residual payments

• Advertisement

Bright Hub residual payments

brighthub.com

Bright Hub residual payments

Postby D.H. » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:52 pm

Finally starting to make more sense of the Bright Hub system. If you can effectively work within it, there are some clear advantages over writing for Demand or even on your own blog. It takes me longer to write a piece for Bright Hub, and I put them on hold for a few months after I wrote 10 to assess the earnings potential. The potential is there if you can find the right articles that will pull in the eyeballs and keep them coming back.

Editorially, my experience at Bright Hub has been exceptional. I have not received a lot of gruff over-editing from my editor, and when prompted I've been provided useful feedback on my writing. Additionally, I received some feedback about how to choose articles that will return the best page views. That was meaningful. The editors take a cut from the revenue generated by your articles, so they have every incentive to see the most page views possible.

The difference between a low-performing article on Bright Hub and a high-performing one is night and day. Last month, my lowest performer received 19 views. My highest performer received 3284. It took me about the same amount of time to write both. The low-flyer is a topical, more news-y piece on a topic that interested me, but has been covered better elsewhere and is already old news by now. The high-flyer is more of what Demand would call "evergreen" content, and it is uniquely positioned in a decent sized technology niche that is not oversaturated with similar content. It places lower-middle on the first page of a Google search for the appropriate keywords. I'd say 70% of the traffic was search engines and the other 30% from BrightHub internal.

That leads to another advantage of writing for Bright Hub over doing it on your own blog. Actually, these might be 3 advantages. First is the up-front $10 fee for editorially managed content. Secondly, the titles are generated for you and you can also submit proposals. Thirdly, Bright Hub feeds traffic back to your articles from within, which you wouldn't get on your own blog. Also, there's no overhead keeping things up as per a blog.

I assume the numbers are different for each channel, but the type of technology articles I have written pay out about $2 per 1000 views. I would be curious what some of the other channels and topics pay, since their formulas are opaque and complex.

For my high-flyer last month, I'm looking at about $6.50 in residuals. It's a topic that could pay out for 12 months at that rate, and longer if I update it. I don't think it would continue to pay at that rate for 5 years, despite DMS accounting claims. Let's call it $6/mo avg. x 12, plus the $10 upfront, it pays $82. Most of the work is upfront, and it took me probably 3 hours (probably more).

On the decently-performing Bright Hub articles, you are looking to comparable pay to Demand, when annualized over a year. The work is a bit more intensive, but the editorial is significantly more writer-friendly. The downside is that not every article is going to pull in those types of numbers. The upside is that if you can build out a stable of 100 to 200 of that type of article, you're looking at $600 to $1300 per month in residual income. There is a great appeal in that. OTOH, spending 3 hours to write an article that pays $10 plus maybe another $1 to $2 in residuals over its lifetime is not nearly as appealing as cranking the shit out for Demand at $20 to $30 per hour.
D.H.

Advertisement

Re: Bright Hub residual payments

Postby CuzISaidSo » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:31 pm

Truth be told, I applied for BH, got accepted in March of '09, and never wrote one damn article for them. I just logged in for the second time ever, literally, but my account has to be re-activated, so I sent support an email.

Once/if they activate my account again, I'll definitely start writing for them. I don't know why I never did, but if I can pick my own topics, that right there makes it more appealing than writing for Demand.
CuzISaidSo

Postby D.H. » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:36 pm

You can definitely submit your own title proposals. I think that may be the entire key to the system, to ferret out the types of titles that will be SEO-friendly but have enough traffic to justify the work. I'm going to keep on plugging away at it. I can see the potential, and the thought of my monthly nut coming in entirely through residual payments is like a Shangri La of online freelance writing.
D.H.

Postby RECK Rose » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:43 pm

BrightHub is great. I've been there for a little over two years and the site has really grown and evolved into something great. On a side note, if you know anything about games, get into some gaming channels and write some articles. They typically get major hits and rev share is damn good with them.

I honestly have no complaints with BrightHub. And, D.H. once you write some more, it will become faster for you. I can knock out two good BH articles per hour now. I used to take an hour to write one, but I got faster over time.

The revenue share for the last 3 or 4 months of 2010 was about $3.60 per 1,000 page views, per a BH staff member. It changes every 3 to 4 months.
RECK Rose

Postby D.H. » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:07 pm

D.H.

Postby Psycho_Insomniac » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:53 pm

I'm not sure I want to bother with Bright Hub right now. With the requirement to learn SEO and all that, it seems more time-intensive that what I can do right now. I sat through a training video and fell asleep. It was something like an hour long. Zzzzzzzzz
Psycho_Insomniac

Postby LaughAMinute » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:46 pm

LaughAMinute

Postby CE_ClueBat » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:14 pm

Most people say the editors are great. I've had good experiences, but I"m having a hard time getting motivated for them. I'm still at the 5 article minimum, and my revenue is really bad. The 450 word limit, I think, is what turns me off.

I'm going to apply to more channels. I can see where it's worth it. If you write at Suite101, BH is a no-brainer. You have to average 100 PVs per article or something like that before they lift the restriction. I heard some people suggest spamming to get PVs up. I might just write an app to hit the damn site on my articles to get through the damn limit. lol If I had an open option, I'd probably write there more.

I've seen some people complain about editing, but the majority have said they are good, and my experience is that they are really nice.
"Or, it could be that I don't know everything." ~TheBatman
CE_ClueBat

Postby LaughAMinute » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:52 pm

LaughAMinute

Postby sickofstupidity » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:06 am

sickofstupidity

Next

Return to Bright Hub