[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Changes with Amazon at Hubpages

• Advertisement

Changes with Amazon at Hubpages

hubpages.com

Changes with Amazon at Hubpages

Postby partygirl » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:36 am

I had basically given up at Hubpages, but I had a little free time on my hands this week so I've been poking around over there some. Like Camacho wrote about in an earlier thread, they are restructuring the the way their Amazon affiliate accounts work. Starting soon (they haven't said exactly when yet), they are going to require anyone who wants to sell Amazon merchandise in their hubs to have a dedcated hubpages/amazon affiliate number. In order to be able to get a dedicated affiliate number, you have to sign up for their hubpages ad program so that they have your tax info, paypal account info, etc.

Judging by reaction in their forums, at first people were mad about it but now writers seem excited about it. Although it's a a little bit of a hassle to have two Amazon affiliate accounts, one just for HP and one for everything else, it does seem like it could work out for the better. They are combining the purchasing power of all HP writers and will be giving an 8% commission on anything sold on Amazon through your HP account. I have sold a few items from my HP articles, and the most I ever got was 6%, and that was only on one item. Everything else I got 4% commission. So if this works out and they are not lying sacks of shit (sorry HP, I'm used to DMS), it could possibly double many of my commissions.

Since I've had free time, I went back into all my hubs and chose better amazon merchandise for them and updated them all a bit. I've even written a few new ones, something I swore I would never do. With the new Hubpages ad program, I've made 90 cents in 4 days, (from ads, not amazon) which is not even a measly buck but it's higher than I was getting with adsense alone.

So there may be a little hope for hubpages after all. If you have any hubs with amazon merchandise in them, be sure to join Hubpages Ads and when they start officially offering them, and get a new Amazon affiliate account through HP. I believe they said that if you get a HP/Amazon affiliate account, all the merch in your hubs will automatically switch over to the new affiliate #, so you won't have to do anything other than sign up for the HP/amazon affiliate account.

Sorry this is so long, and I hope I'm regurgitating it correctly. I will try to remember to repost when they roll it out and let y'all know how it goes for me.
partygirl

Advertisement

Re: Changes with Amazon at Hubpages

Postby CE_ClueBat » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:35 pm

Hmmm interesting. I made like $100 on 1 affiliate link I was able to sneak in on suite101. It was awesome and no one caught it because I had so many articles. It was also on a popular article so I wished to hell I could have snuck more in. The only problem I see is google is hitting pure affiliate sites hard. I think that they might be doing this to keep it to one affiliate account?

It would be interesting to see what happens. I wish to god there was one site that could survive panda so I could get that passive income back that I had at suite101 but I'm afraid to do the work and have the same thing happen.
"Or, it could be that I don't know everything." ~TheBatman
CE_ClueBat

Postby partygirl » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:33 pm

Hubpages does seem like they are doing what they can to win back Google's favor after panda. They have switched everyone over to their own individual subdomain, I think that was in August, and they took down tons of hubs that were simply Amazon sales pages with hardly any text. Those types of hubs aren't allowed any more. People on the forums are reporting that their earnings have recovered. My adsense earnings are too little to worry about, but my Amazon sales picked up in October.
partygirl

Postby undercover » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:45 pm

Thanks for posting this, partygirl. I had rather forgotten about HP, but I did sign up for their own earnings system last year. ("last year" sounds so long ago.... heh.)

I was able to sneak affiliate links into my BH articles for awhile, which was useful, but that is all over now.
undercover

Postby CE_ClueBat » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:12 pm

I thought of this thread last week. I did a search on beating 2 of the bosses in Zelda, and Hubpages came up first both times, and I have to admit, the article was really good and helpful.
CE_ClueBat

Postby Camacho » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:48 pm

I think hell will freeze over before HubPages makes Amazon a part of the HP ads program. First it was supposed to be early November, then early December. Now they wised up and said early 2010, which covers their asses until the end of May technically, I guess.

With a delay this long, something has gone sour, probably on Amazon's end. HP keeps saying that it will make people more money, so maybe Amazon doesn't way to pay that high of a commission rate for the entire site's conversions.

I don't really care, I mainly use HP for the backlinks.
"Fuck yeah!"
Camacho

Postby partygirl » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:52 pm

Yeah, I agree. I had been ignoring hubpages for months when I found out what they were trying to do. Since I hadn't been around at all, I didn't realize they had been promising it for so long without delivering. I was excited about the 8% for a while, but now I'm realizing it will probably never happen. I do sell a few things off my pages there and was hoping to get the chance to basically double my commissions. Oh well.
partygirl

Postby CE_ClueBat » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:15 pm

So, have they not done what they promised? Anyone have any experience with it? I'd really like to build up a steady stream for a while again. I miss the $300-$500 I made at Suite101. I'd be starting over at Hubpages. I've noticed they are ranking OK for some long tail keywords, provided it's a new topic.

If I could go back to the $1/article/month that I had at Suite101, I'd be happy. Since I'm new, I wouldn't bitch about the Amazon affiliate extra or their cut, because I've never had it in the first place. lol

So, anyone want to share what kind of averages they are getting per article?
CE_ClueBat

Postby Camacho » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:52 pm

"Fuck yeah!"
Camacho

Postby partygirl » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:22 pm

My earnings have gone up since I switched over to the HubPages earnings program, but what I'm making is almost nothing, maybe 10-15 cents a day, or 25 cents on a good day. (Total, not per article. Pathetic, I know.) But, I have only in the last couple of weeks gone from 13 to 30 articles. Also, I don't really know what I'm doing. I have never bothered with backlinking or even SEO. I'm slowly adding more articles and learning how to work the system better.

Clue, I think you might be able to do well over there with everything you know, especially if you have a large number of articles to put up. But it definitely takes time. My so-called "matured" hubs get more page views than the new ones.

I seem to do OK with Amazon. I got about $20 in commission (total) from June to December, which isn't much, but I had only 13 articles at that time.

Supposedly they are working on getting rid of the ESL crap... but yeah... they're not working hard enough.

I am going to get 50 hubs up, then stop a while and see how they do before putting any more time or work into it.
partygirl

Next

Return to Hub Pages