[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - You Are Godsends

• Advertisement

You Are Godsends

New user? Can't post? Introduce yourself!

You Are Godsends

Postby ThisIsaZombie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:54 am

Pretty new zombie here. I just stumbled upon this place yesterday, lurked, thought about joining--and got my first bordering-on-rude-and-ridiculous rewrite request today (before they were always polite and manageable requests, even if I disagreed--and admittedly, sometimes I agreed) and just had to join.

I feel like someone with an addiction who discovers he's not alone out there. Thank you, thank you.

I knew what I was getting into. Believe it or not, it was an article about how DS pays peanuts that got me to sign up--because it wasn't peanuts to me. I was making less per article of the same length working almost two years for another content company and went through long periods for some years before that on a freelance client-by-client basis--sometimes being paid more, sometimes being paid way, way, less, always struggling for regular work.

The positives of DS (for me):

-Consistent work (I can't always find topics I LOVE, but I can usually find some I think I can do)
-More pay than other content companies
-Twice a week payment

The slight drawbacks:

-Despite being the same mass-content stuff, requires "reputable" sources for even the simplest of things (other content company pays less but does not require resources AT ALL---which makes sense when writing common sense things)
-Having to have my name on every article (This is okay, although I do like some anonymity, but sometimes editors change an article so much, it doesn't even feel like mine anymore... But I could have used a pen name, I guess. Too late now.... Other content company lets me be anonymous 95% of the time.)
-I like being paid more than other companies, but it does feel like I'm doing more than $15 worth of work per article, especially considering....

The "help me, I'm scared!" aspects of the company:

-Reading online forums (which, btw, official forums, thanks for always having know-it-all writers who seem to be 100% on DS' side no matter what....) warning me of the capriciousness and outright rudeness of some editors, which means that...
-I literally get nervous about turning in every article. I know I can't let it get to me, but I just gulp and think "Will the random editor lottery give me a picky one? Because, yes, this article could be written another way, but that doesn't mean mine is a wrong way!!" For Pete's sake, as long as it CAN apply to the title, just accept it, don't give me a diatribe about how YOU think it should be another way.
-Not being able to RELY ON being paid for the WORK I've done because I drew the short end of the stick in the editor lottery and got someone who just can't manage to agree to disagree
-INCONSISTENCIES!! One editor wants one thing, another editor wants another and I complain about it to other writers and am told to just deal with it, basically. Um, no... The best is one tells me to be much more generic to the point of ridiculousness and the next (different article) tells me I'm too generic.
-The ONE-REWRITE system, wtf!!
-The fact that an editor can let my REWRITE EXPIRE!! And now it's sitting there, a week after I turned in the rewrite, waiting for some other random editor to take it, and that editor will apparently only have an accept/reject option--not FAIR!! What if that editor wants some changes?! Any editor accepting a rewrite should not be able to work on anything else until the rewrite's done!

Now I'm going over to the CE board to vent...
ThisIsaZombie

Advertisement

Re: You Are Godsends

Postby The Batman » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:02 pm

Welcome. Please feel free to contribute here. You should know that you can change to a pen name at any time. If you do, the name on the articles you've already written will change.
"Wait, when is March Madness?" ~CE Cluebat
The Batman

Postby Pardon_my_French » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:28 pm

Bienvenue.

Pardon_my_French

Postby ThisIsaZombie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:03 pm

Thanks! And thanks for the tip about the pen name. I think the more disillusioned I am, the more I'll consider it (although, thanks to them requiring previous stuff you've written for in your bio, people could probably figure out my name anyway... Not that anyone cares enough to do that!).
ThisIsaZombie

Postby The Batman » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:05 pm

"Wait, when is March Madness?" ~CE Cluebat
The Batman

Postby ThisIsaZombie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:10 pm

LoL Yeah, fresh off the zombie boat. I used my real photo but obstructed my face completely. In fact, I complained about having to use a photo and was told I had to use one but could obstruct my face... Which makes no sense, but okay.
ThisIsaZombie

Postby Pardon_my_French » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:23 pm

Pardon_my_French

Postby balls-r-us » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:25 pm

I iz a riter. I can haz $15? Tank you!
balls-r-us

Return to Hi, My Name is XXX and I'm a DS-aholic....