[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Hi, I'm new and I was rejected by DS for copy editing

• Advertisement

Hi, I'm new and I was rejected by DS for copy editing

New user? Can't post? Introduce yourself!

Hi, I'm new and I was rejected by DS for copy editing

Postby ACS » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:19 pm

I have about 15 years of experience in editing and journalism, but somehow, within minutes of my submitting my application to DNS, I was ruled "not eligible" for copy editing assignments. Do they ever explain these kinds of decisions?

And, also, how do I get permission to post in other forums?
ACS

Advertisement

Re: Hi, I'm new and I was rejected by DS for copy editing

Postby Pardon_my_French » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:04 am

1) Hamsters and a dartboard.
2) I have to make a decision that you're not lame.

Pardon_my_French

Postby Groundskeeper Willie » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:18 am

What did you list your editing position titles as on your resume? I have a theory. I need more evidence.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, this guy gets it." ~thebesig, RIP
Groundskeeper Willie

Postby ACS » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:01 am

ACS

Postby CE_ClueBat » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:46 am

I've read rants on blogs from editors with years of experience getting rejected. Really, you aren't missing much. DMS is dying, and the assholes left are idiots. You would probably want to kill yourself if you got sucked into their system.

Just do a search for "ehow editors" or "demand studios editors." This isn't a case of a few bad apples bitching. Even their long-time writers and supporters are realizing the place is shit, and Google killed them. They are a dying company, and they deserve it for how they treated their staff.

ETA: Don't take it personally. You're probably too good for them, TBH. We love our DSS editors (holla Willie), but most of DMS staff are assholes to their editors and the good ones left after the announcement that titles were going away. Consider yourself dodging a bullet, even though you feel rejected.
"Or, it could be that I don't know everything." ~TheBatman
CE_ClueBat

Postby ACS » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:10 am

Yes, it's true, I do feel unjustifiably rejected, but, as you say, maybe it's for the best.
ACS

Postby partygirl » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:30 am

No 'maybe' about it.
partygirl

Postby Groundskeeper Willie » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:26 pm

It's not like someone read through your resume, thought about it and rejected you. They just scanned it for keywords, and then they turned it over to the hamsters.

You're not missing out on much anyway. There's a reason there's a site called Demand Studios Sucks. It's because Demand Studios sucks. It's a shit company with a shit product, shit management, shit policies and shit pay—run by major league morons, and filled with idiots and assholes.

As a CE, you'd have had a one in two chance of getting stuck with mega-bitches as your team leader and copy chief. You could be Gordon fucking Lish, and they'd still find some petty bullshit to chew your ass out over. Even the good CCs expect a lot. And why wouldn't they? I mean, if you're going to pay someone four dollars to fix the ESL-level writing of an article about how to make pants for your dog, you expect results.

But good luck even getting that article now. Most of the CEs have little or nothing to edit (depending on which sections they're approved for).

With the shitty pay rate per assignment, the gig was only worth it back when there were tons of articles and you could edit 5+ per hour. But you can't do that anymore. A lot of CEs can't even get that many articles per week now. Many of them can't get any.

TL;DR: DMS is a circus, and the show is almost over. You're just missing the ending—and like everything else about the company, it sucks, so don't worry about it.
Groundskeeper Willie

Postby ACS » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:52 pm

Well, I really appreciate the explanations here. Thanks so much for your input!

Are there any good sources for freelance copy editing jobs? I could really use the work.
ACS

Postby Groundskeeper Willie » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:38 pm

Sorry pal. Shit is rough out there, so I feel for you, but the only freebie leads you'll get here are the posts in the Catch-All forum. And you're not going to find much there.

You can get real leads if you're a member of the cool kids club, but you must PM Lane Meyer and ask him if you can join.
Groundskeeper Willie

Next

Return to Hi, My Name is XXX and I'm a DS-aholic....