• Advertisement

Copy Writing Advice?

Looking to start freelancing? Need some advice? What the hell do you think this is here for?

Copy Writing Advice?

Postby Psycho_Insomniac » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:45 pm

Hey, guys. I've been doing some advertorial blurbs for a guy through a third party service and have gotten some really good feedback. He loves what I do. I got to thinking that I'd like to do copywriting rather than content writing, but I'm not sure how to present myself as a serious candidate. My background is a mixed bag of experience, from retail to social work, with freelancing as the most recent thing I've done. If I wanted to go to an agency like Creative Circle, what would I need to do to prepare myself? I'm assuming I'd need a portfolio, a website, and some samples, but would like more input from experienced folks. I have a degree, if that helps. TIA.
Psycho_Insomniac

Advertisement

Re: Copy Writing Advice?

Postby Scribe On Demand » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:38 am

Believe it or not, a varied background can be really great when presenting your experience to a potential client. I have a mixed bag of experience myself -- retail, customer service, hospitality industry, academia -- and have found it has enhanced my appeal since I can relate to a slew of businesses and know how to sell them effectively in the copy.

However, I have never worked for a third party agency. All of my copywriting is done through my own freelance business.

If you have more questions, feel free to PM me.
2012 - Year of the Lioness

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupid.
Scribe On Demand

Postby Psycho_Insomniac » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:57 am

Thanks, Scribe. A friend of mine sent me a link to her portfolio and resume, which gave me a good idea of how to present myself. Since I got a job unrelated to writing (real estate property management -- I did it years ago), I might put it on the back burner for now. I'll continue to freelance, though. I fucking love to write.
Psycho_Insomniac

Postby Scribe On Demand » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:58 pm

Good for you! I'm also in an unrelated business too, but you know, writing is always fun and helpful. :D
2012 - Year of the Lioness

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupid.
Scribe On Demand

Return to How to Start Freelancing