[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Monetizing Blogs

• Advertisement

Monetizing Blogs

Looking to start freelancing? Need some advice? What the hell do you think this is here for?

Monetizing Blogs

Postby Crackity Jones » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:37 pm

Okay so, apologies in advance for my complete lack of chops in this area, but can anyone recommend a sort of "SEO/keywords/pro-blogging for beginners" book? I really want to get into blogging more as the complete aversion to voice over at DS is really starting to burn me out. I can't robo-speak my way through articles anymore. It's killing any semblance of creativity in my body.

Also, as an addendum and because I trust the people here to give a straight answer over anywhere else, how realistic is it to expect to make money from a blog? And what sort of money are we talking about here -- clinky money or the foldable shit that my landlord seems to appreciate?

P.S.
Apologies mods if this in the wrong forum. I know how much y'all hate that but I thought this was the best option.
Crackity Jones

Advertisement

Re: Monetizing Blogs

Postby JulianneHarte » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:33 am

As someone whose asked that question before, I'll tell you what everyone's told me: check out problogger and copyblogger. I'm still a newbie myself, but I'm learning a lot from these two (especially copyblogger)
Check out http://ayearofbaking.blogspot.com, one woman's mission to bake every day for a year!
JulianneHarte

Postby The Batman » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:56 am

I don't know about a book for monetizing. Julianne mentioned the best sites. Another site to check out is I'm pretty sure they are just reblogging posts from black hat forums, so you'll want to be careful with what you take from there. However, there is a lot of information on subtle, legitimate ways to increase your earnings that other people don't talk about much.
"Wait, when is March Madness?" ~CE Cluebat
The Batman

Postby Crackity Jones » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:57 am

Great. Thanks to the both of you for the help. I'm currently using blogger but will definitely think about problogger and copyblogger.

The Batman, what are the chances of getting shit-canned from Google adsense using techniques from that site?
Crackity Jones

Postby The Batman » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:18 am

It depends what you use. If you use it to find out things like blending ads in to the background, directories to submit your blog to, and similar things then the odds are zero. Those things are all legit.

If you use it to find dofollow sites to blast with scrapebox spam, the odds are very high that Google will deindex your site if they find out.
The Batman

Postby Crackity Jones » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:10 am

Crackity Jones

Postby The Batman » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:25 am

The directories can be several different things. It can be an RSS aggregator, a directory of blogs listed by category, or a ping site. Basically, they are a way to get free backlinks to your site and let the search engines know that you have an update. People debate constantly how useful they are. They don't seem to be as valuable as they used to be, but a backlink is a backlink. The directories don't normally hurt you.
The Batman

Postby Crackity Jones » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:32 am

Crackity Jones

Postby The Batman » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:42 am

Only a little bit, if you are being legitimate about getting those backlinks from directories. You're only going to get so many. It can move you up in the search engine rankings a bit, which leads to more organic traffic. But, it's not a be all end all or anything like using bots to get a 1000 backlinks a day. (Don't do that. It is blackhat.)

Unless you have the perfect keywords and are fully optimized, you are still going to have to promote your blog for several months before you start seeing any real income. Twitter and Facebook are the best bets for that right now. Bookmarking sites like Digg and Reddit also help, but the latest numbers I've seen say they are not nearly what they used to be.
The Batman

Postby Crackity Jones » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:02 am

Crackity Jones

Next

Return to How to Start Freelancing