• Advertisement

Rates

Looking to start freelancing? Need some advice? What the hell do you think this is here for?

Re: Rates

Postby Scribe On Demand » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:11 pm

I figured out my desired hourly rate (Freelance Switch has a great calculator) and divided that by 600, which is about the amount of words I can write, edit and rewrite in an hour for good quality work. Your $0.12/word sounds reasonable for someone starting out online.
2012 - Year of the Lioness

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupid.
Scribe On Demand

Advertisement

Postby EnigmaticJack » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:45 pm

Writer's Market lists the range for blogging jobs as between $6 and $100 per post. Average is $49, though if it's just some dude's website or something then you probably won't get that (I don't know if it is or not, was just throwing that out there.) Wish I could offer you more advice on it but I tend to stay away from blogging.
'Guys and girls, beware, the berg has warned you.'

Rule number one: The Doctor lies.
EnigmaticJack

Postby disgruntled » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:19 am

The piggies second the lioness's and woodchuck's suggestions. Whether you're charging per post/per word/per project, calculating what you'll make hourly is still a good way to make sure you're not accidentally giving yourself the shaft.

Also, if you don't already know all the parameters about the research reports/proposals project, you might want to find them out before quoting a rate. (Your use of the word "should" makes us wonder.) You could also quote a range of rates so that you have some flexibility for adjusting, depending on how complex the project ends up bring.
disgruntled

Return to How to Start Freelancing