[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Question about domain name investments

• Advertisement

Question about domain name investments

Looking to start freelancing? Need some advice? What the hell do you think this is here for?

Question about domain name investments

Postby balls-r-us » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:44 pm

I was just wondering if it's actually worth it to buy a premium domain on GoDaddy for a couple of grand. I'm looking at the domains and they look amazingly full of potential, since I've heard that the domain name also counts a lot in Google and in how users remember your site. What do you say? I'm thinking of starting a professional tech blog with videos of me repairing computer issues and articles with several HD pictures of computer repairs in progress. I suppose my grammar isn't the BEST ever in the whole world - much less than that, actually. However, I think that readers don't give a damn shit about it and just want to see how things are done, eh?
I iz a riter. I can haz $15? Tank you!
balls-r-us

Advertisement

Re: Question about domain name investments

Postby Ladidah » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:37 pm

There's a bunch of different factors. Research the history of the domain, the back links and whether it's even trusted by Google. It wouldn't do you a whole helluva lot of good to spend that much money on a domain name if it's previous owner was a black hatter who got black listed. I would be more concerned whether it's got your preferred keyword in the name over whether people can remember the URL. You can always use an abbreviated name and redirect that to your main site. My former partners decided on a really stupid, long-ass name for our site (thisisareallylongstupiddomain.com) so we also registered (tisd-wwc.com) The "wwc" was an abbreviation of the service we provided. The second one was used for our business cards.

Also, people use bookmarks to save their favorite sites. If they want to come back it's not imperative that they be able to remember the URL.

Don't spend thousands of dollars on a domain that doesn't have good PR, decent backlinks and a history. If it's a brand new site, you're going to have a lot of work and you'll initially lose money-- especially if you're put in the sandbox. GoDaddy is skeevy sometimes, so it's really important to research anything they have for sale. Blackhatters LOVE that site and blackhatters usually get booted from Google. If it's a good name and is less than $20k, it could be more of a pain in the ass than it's worth.
"I've been arguing online since ! I am a warrior!"-- some fucktard in a forum
Ladidah

Postby EnigmaticJack » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:44 pm

If you're going to use it for a blog, I'd recommend just creating a new domain through someone that's not GoDaddy. I got my domain for free when I signed up for web hosting and renew it for around $15 a year I think. Along those same lines, I've outranked celebrities in some search terms that would normally be related to them with that domain.
'Guys and girls, beware, the berg has warned you.'

Rule number one: The Doctor lies.
EnigmaticJack

Postby balls-r-us » Mon May 02, 2011 2:27 am

Why would you not recommend GoDaddy? I'm not going to use them for hosting. I'm only buying the domain and changing its A-record to point to an IP of a dedicated host I have.
balls-r-us

Postby EnigmaticJack » Mon May 02, 2011 1:07 pm

GoDaddy's built a bit of a bad reputation over time. Almost every time I've heard of problems with domains in the last year or two it's been with people who've used GoDaddy as a registrar. I think that Cluebat mentioned something in another thread about the way that GoDaddy handles its domains, too. Supposedly can cause problems with site rankings and the like.

EnigmaticJack

Postby balls-r-us » Mon May 02, 2011 2:31 pm

Thanks for the heads up then. What about eNom?
balls-r-us

Postby EnigmaticJack » Mon May 02, 2011 2:49 pm

EnigmaticJack

Postby berg » Thu May 12, 2011 12:25 am

I don't know if this is true but it seems to be. If you reserve your domain for long periods of time, like 10 years, it increases your validity to Google. I know that I keep mine paid for the longest periods possible. Before I did this I wasn't very highly ranked. It doesn't really cost me anything more to do this and probably saves me money in the long run, so, I do it.
berg

Postby Page1News » Thu May 12, 2011 12:30 am

You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.
Page1News

Postby balls-r-us » Fri May 13, 2011 6:15 pm

Damn. Demand is creeping into the Internet from all angles. FUCK!
balls-r-us

Next

Return to How to Start Freelancing