[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Question about domain name investments

• Advertisement

Question about domain name investments

Looking to start freelancing? Need some advice? What the hell do you think this is here for?

Re: Question about domain name investments

Postby 16blue » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:08 pm

Dammit, knew I shoulda swung by here first. I bought a domain from Blogger for $10 (and I'm pretty sure Blogger contracts through eNom)... does that mean there's some sort of partnership between Google and DMS? :|

I figure $10 ain't that bad for an experimental first-time venture, but what do I know...
16blue

Advertisement

Postby Ladidah » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:59 pm

"I've been arguing online since ! I am a warrior!"-- some fucktard in a forum
Ladidah

Postby filly sucker » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:16 am

Namecheap are a reputable and cheap domain registrar, I don't recall ever reading anything bad about them.

As far as I know, registering a domain with GoDaddy can't hurt you googlewise, (I don't see how it could, but would be interested to know how, if it can) but many people have had issues when they have found a good domain, go to register it at Godaddy, have a problem with the registration process, and when they try again, it's taken. i.e. GoDaddy have grabbed it and are now selling it as a premium domain.

Also think GD have earned their bad rep by telling you your domain is expiring 4 months before it does, the ludicrous number of upsells they push on unsuspecting newbies (recently found a friend of mine was paying $5 a month for something he thought he had to have when he purchased a domain, "Cash Parking" I think it was) and their unreliable hosting. I used to have all my sites hosted at GD, but now have Hostgator's baby plan, which is excellent. However, saying all that, I do still register domains with GD just because I am used to them, and there are always plenty of coupons available which means registering or renewing a domain usually only costs about $9. (I currently have lots of domains I am sitting on, if it were one or two, the difference of a few dollars wouldn't come in to it too much I guess, but in my case, it is a factor.)

I wouldn't personally go for the deal where you get a free domain with your hosting plan. I have heard if you decide to change hosts, very often they make it difficult for you to take the "free domain" with you. Fine if you are happy with the host, but not so good if you are not, and why pay much more for renewals than you need to.

Everyone to their own, but again, I wouldn't personally pay big bucks for a premium domain. Although the age of a domain helps, with a good KW in a new domain and a bit of savvy you can soon get backlinks and get a new domain ranking well.

ETA: I also agree about the Blogger thing. I would only use blogger as a means for backlinks to my own site. A blogger blog is never your own.
filly sucker

Postby givethemyourworst » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:34 pm

Namecheap is now part of eNom.

eNom is a Demand Media property, and they have a bad reputation IN A WAY. Their bad reputation is from registering a bunch of spammy (mostly pharmaceutical) domains. Or, rather, allowing them to be registered. As far as I know this shouldn't actually cause you any problems as a blogger or website owner using eNom/Namecheap. From everything I've seen and heard their customer service is up to snuff.

Oh, and I too have heard bad things about GoDaddy. Namely, that they keep people in the dark about their domain names expiring so they can resell them at higher rates.

givethemyourworst

Postby D.H. » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:49 pm

I started moving my business from GoDaddy after it emerged that the CEO is a total prick and animal rights abuser. Just do a Google search for boycott GoDaddy and form your own conclusions.

I moved all my registration business to name.com after that.

I would never pay for a premium domain name unless it was absolutely essential for your branding efforts and you had already locked up all the related alternatives. It is almost never worth the price, and as others have pointed out you could end up with a lot of blackhat baggage if you're not careful.
D.H.

Postby BurnCEs » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:05 am

Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea GoDaddy was run by such a piece of fucking shit. I'd personally like to see an enraged elephant dance on the jerk's skull. I'll be moving my domains from there and spreading the word.
BurnCEs

Postby SEO Speedwagon » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:33 am

SEO Speedwagon

Postby D.H. » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:32 pm

D.H.

Previous

Return to How to Start Freelancing