[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Types of freelance writing

• Advertisement

Types of freelance writing

Looking to start freelancing? Need some advice? What the hell do you think this is here for?

Re: Types of freelance writing

Postby givethemyourworst » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:28 pm

givethemyourworst

Advertisement

Postby Ducky » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:24 pm

I've done some resume writing on and off. I charge reasonable rates, but I don't market it as well as I should/could. I base my prices on the difficulty involved, meaning if someone has no resume I charge a lot more than if the person has something started for me to work with. As a general rule, I'll charge around $50-$75 for most resumes, but I can put them together in an hour or so. I have no idea if that's a good rate or not, but it works for me. I have a standard template email I send to them to fill out so I can get the information I need, so I don't spend much time on that part of it.

If you go that route, call local colleges and ask if you can promote your services there. That's the best way I've found to get clients, and you'd be surprised how many upcoming grads don't have a resume and don't want to put one together or don't know how. I've literally gotten people who have handed me a "starter resume" that listed their age, race and hobbies. :roll:

Some colleges won't let you promote because they have staff members who will help the students for free, but you can still put flyers up at places around campus where students hang out. I once got 5 clients in a week from posting one flyer in a coffee shop near a campus. I would post "specials" on the flyers saying I would draft a basic cover letter for "free" with a resume purchase.

You can also offer to meet with these people and do mock interviews with them for a fee if you're interested in that and you're good at interviewing. Sometimes I'd make up little packages, like a resume, cover letter and 1-hour mock interview session for $150 or $200 or something. Tell them if they refer a person who purchases something from you, you'll knock $10 or $15 off the price or include 2 free resume updates within the next five years or something.

I haven't done much resume writing for about a year or so. I should get back into it myself.

ETA: The other thing you can do to market is talk to employment agencies and other places where there are likely to be a lot of unemployed/not very educated people. I realize that sounds mean, but if you charge a reasonable rate, you can hit up the WIC office, income-based apartments, put flyers up in very low-end ghetto grocery stores, the bus stops etc. Anywhere where you're likely to find a lot of people who are unemployed or have really shitty jobs.

I always ask for half the money up front from those people before I start though. That usually works out for me. I've gotten stiffed for the other half a couple of times, but the good thing is that those people don't usually have extensive resumes to begin with, and I still got some money for it. Sometimes I'll even charge those people less because, like I said, they usually don't have too much to work with and if you do it for a price they can afford, they'll tell their friends.

ETA one more time: Don't rule anything out either. I once got a guy who wanted to pay me an extra $75 to go with him to Kohl's and help him pick out clothes to interview in because he had no one to ask about that sort of thing. I was kind of creeped out at first, but I figured it was a public place so whatever. What was he gonna do? Rape me in the middle of the day at Kohl's? I went with him, helped him match up some outfits, helped him determine what fit and looked nice and got my money. $75 for roaming around Kohl's for an hour and a half was fine by me.
Ducky

Postby EnigmaticJack » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:43 pm

'Guys and girls, beware, the berg has warned you.'

Rule number one: The Doctor lies.
EnigmaticJack

Postby CE_ClueBat » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:28 am

A good sales writer is golden. My friend writes sales copy. She is an amazing marketing person, but she charges $200 to write sales copy for a site. People are stupid and go for the Engrish $1/article people and wonder why their site fails. But her copy has generated good income for her customers, so the good sites understand that you need an expert to write landing page copy that pulls in sales.

I don't have that gift, but if you do, sales copy is a good writing niche.
"Or, it could be that I don't know everything." ~TheBatman
CE_ClueBat

Return to How to Start Freelancing