[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - SEO training?

• Advertisement

SEO training?

Looking to start freelancing? Need some advice? What the hell do you think this is here for?

SEO training?

Postby JulianneHarte » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:41 am

Anybody have a good reference for learning SEO? I'm afraid to type it into Google and see the junk answers I get. I'd go with books or podcasts, as long as it's reputable. I need something to teach me basics and if the "for dummies" level is probably best. I am not math/science/technical, so giving me something that my kindergarten can understand when it comes to this stuff is probably best (OK, you can probably go to a high school level, but if it's beyond a college course labeled something like "SEO 101", it's above my head!)
Check out http://ayearofbaking.blogspot.com, one woman's mission to bake every day for a year!
JulianneHarte

Advertisement

Re: SEO training?

Postby The Batman » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:53 am

I posted this earlier today: If you are looking for free stuff, go through the archives on Copyblogger and Problogger.
"Wait, when is March Madness?" ~CE Cluebat
The Batman

Postby D.H. » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:11 am

A friend of mine was boning up on SEO while doing other work that allowed him to wear headphones on the job and he could concentrate on what he was listening to. He went through most of the iTunes podcasts on SEO and gave me his recommendations. I found them to be extremely self-absorbed, even by podcast standards, and to wax on about tangential topics for far too long.

The best of the lot was Ecom Phenom. It's passably listenable, and you can get some nuggets out of it. Probably more useful if you know less of the basics. When I checked in iTunes, they had three SEO-specific episodes. Good place to start. If you don't like them, I would suggest not bothering with any of the other podcasts, which are worse and less informative.

http://www.ecomphenom.com/

I think this is them too:

http://podcast.neo1seo.com/
D.H.

Postby BurnCEs » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:38 am

If you haven't already, sign up for Google Webmaster Tools and Google Analytics, both free. It's a good way of relatively quickly assessing if your SEO efforts are paying off.

I've found really useful stuff in the Google Webmaster Tools help forums, too.

Don't be tempted by any blackhat SEO shit, I foolishly and naively did this a couple of years ago, got a site toasted to fuck by Google and have really only just recovered it.
BurnCEs

Postby Star » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:21 am

Star

Postby The Batman » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:33 pm

"Wait, when is March Madness?" ~CE Cluebat
The Batman

Postby JulianneHarte » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:19 pm

No intention of going toward Black Hat SEO. I will check out the link Star gave me at naptime. Already did some looking at Problogger.

As for the podcasts, either something is wrong with their site or my computer, because I can't get a single podcast to work there.
Check out http://ayearofbaking.blogspot.com, one woman's mission to bake every day for a year!
JulianneHarte

Postby D.H. » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:29 pm

D.H.

Postby JulianneHarte » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:05 pm

JulianneHarte

Return to How to Start Freelancing