• Advertisement

Why I've been scarce

Encourage your fellow DSSers to move on ... or don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Why I've been scarce

Postby D.H. » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:37 pm

Sorry that I've been so unavailable lately.

The primary reason is because I just crossed some invisible threshold in my mind that I didn't even know was there. I couldn't bring myself to write another crappy word for Demand. I haven't written for them in well over a month. Every time I tried, I found myself brain retching. I started by reclaiming articles and extending my deadlines. Then I just let them lapse without any reclamation. Then ... I just stopped caring at all.

I think it was brought on by my deep diving into the IPO. I haven't finished writing everything I found. It chaps my ass how much money some people made on this terrible company and the lies they tell the public (and likely themselves) about how earth-changing the business model is. It's a crappy company with crappy management slinging a crappy product. Them's the facts, Jack!

I found that I couldn't willingly participate in the crap slinging anymore, or else I'm just as guilty for polluting the Internet as the people I criticize. I think my realization came while I was fasting. I actually made it 20 days on the master cleanse diet without a taste of solid food. After the first week, my energy was back. But, while I was in deep contemplation of cleansing my body I was also in deep contemplation about cleansing my mind. I decided that the money was not worth the exchange that I make with Demand Media for polluting my mind and the Internet with drivel. Sure, I could write better, and take 2x to 3x as long to kick out the work, but who wants to do that?

So I stopped writing for Demand, in an effort to no longer contribute to something I find distasteful at its core. With not writing for DMS, I have a whole lot less of a reason to hang out and shoot the shit here. I try to poke my head in and clean up the spam. We need to do some upgrades to the site software. I owe Patrick a few blog posts. It's hard to care about DMS or DSS when I'm not writing for them. I found that I spent my most hours here in the forums when I was writing the most. There is a correlation.

The irony is that I have just been approved for both Travel and Technology sections.
D.H.

Advertisement

Re: Why I've been scarce

Postby ms.IV » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:59 pm

lol at the irony.

I know how you feel tho. I really should/need to write a ton there this month to make my final nest egg for China and I just... cant. Sometimes if I can find some tips I can talk myself into doing a few then segue into a longer article but otherwise it's just... exhausting, emotionally and intellectually. I hate it.
ms.IV

Return to Out of Demand