[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Is It Even Worth It Anymore?

• Advertisement

Is It Even Worth It Anymore?

Encourage your fellow DSSers to move on ... or don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Is It Even Worth It Anymore?

Postby Devil_youknow » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:24 pm

I just don't know.

I only did this part-time, made a couple of grand this year, bought things I wanted, paid some debt off and have enough in my paypal account for Christmas.

Writing for eHow Money and Chron (with the occasional regular eHow article thrown in) was okay. Now those sections are dead. I still have a handful of articles in my rich n' cheezy 'quiche', but I really don't even feel like writing them. True, the extra money would be nice, but there's too much BS surrounding Demand, and let's face it. It's just not fun to write for them.

I'm seriously considering dumping the articles I have and concentrating on other things. Doesn't seem worth it anymore.
Devil_youknow

Advertisement

Re: Is It Even Worth It Anymore?

Postby partygirl » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:32 pm

That's exactly where I am. I have a handful of writeable titles left, but, meh, they're not what I enjoy writing about. It seems like to much trouble to actually research them, only to get an indiotic rewrite, which has been happening many a lot with the past few I've attempted. I've been letting mine expire one by one. I'm sure the zombies are feasting on them.
partygirl

Postby Joe » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:26 pm

Definitely not anymore. The best part about Demand was that it had tons of work (often fun work) that you could rely on. I couldn't care less about the two payments per week (I preferred a larger single weekly payment), but it was nice to have somewhere that always had a ton of work that I could bang out. A nice contrast to other clients who need an article or two every week/month or whose work availability varies wildly.

Take away the easy-to-find, easy-to-write titles and what's left? Being underpaid to write crap content and deal with condescending, obnoxious editors and staffers. All headache, no reward.
Joe

Postby WalkAway » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:43 pm

It really depends on the sections you have permissions for and what your financial status is right now. If you still have access to sections with titles (Tech Beta and Home & Garden) and need the money, it's still worth it to milk. If you can find better work elsewhere, take it.

I have Tech Beta permissions and just sat down yesterday to figure out how much money I'd need to tide me over for 3-4 months while I launch a new business and a couple of passive income sources. My plan is to be out of Demand by 12/15/2011 at the latest, preferably 12/4/2011. That's about how long I anticipate the titles will last in TB, since they've steadily fallen to the present level of 24,000. I'll be writing 10-15 articles per day every day, but I'll be attempting to keep it to 3-5 hours of work per day. I'll use the rest of the time to look for other sources of income/a decent full-time job.

I guess my point is, if you need to rely on DMS, don't do it for much longer, maybe a month or so, tops. Milk it while you can/while you don't have other options. But use the time to find something better.
WalkAway

Postby Devil_youknow » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:23 pm

Oh yeah, I didn't need it. But I was surprised to find out how the promise of quick n' easy cash affected me. Instead of socializing at work, I'd hunker down during lunch hours to write. Or sometimes I'd convince myself that I shouldn't go out because I was trying to save money and would instead, stay home and write.

I would actually feel guilty if I didn't write. Like gah, Cheryl, you should be making money right now! Why aren't you doing it? (Yeah, that's my real name cause I just don't give a damn anymore.) :D

By reading these forums, I discovered I wasn't the only one. It's time to leave Demand. I feel free.
Devil_youknow

Postby HighPlainsGrifter » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:39 am

The Grifter's motto: They're worth less than a fin each. Head 'em up and move 'em out.
HighPlainsGrifter

Postby Joe » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:38 pm

For sure. Demand doesn't seem to realize yet that it can't treat quality and pay as two isolated issues. You can create all the guidelines, segmentation and testing you want, but unless you adjust the pay scale to something that allows for well-researched, reliably edited content, even your best writers are going to create generic shit. Keep paying $15 to $25 for writing and $4 for editing/"gatekeeping" and adding "first look"/segmentation/next bs "quality assurance" layer and you're just pushing away your best writers.

Near as I can tell, that's already happened--the CEs and many remaining DMS forum members just seem like the most desperate of the lot. And even they're getting sick of the bs.
Joe

Postby Devil_youknow » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:21 pm

Devil_youknow

Return to Out of Demand