• Advertisement

Repurposing

Encourage your fellow DSSers to move on ... or don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Repurposing

Postby Scribe On Demand » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:59 pm

So, I'd dig through the forums for this but the search is still disabled. I remember a few of you saying you had repurposed articles to populate your own websites, though I can't remember who.

I'm currently getting ready to upload all my rewritten work onto a new project site as part of my "Get the Fuck Out of DMS" plan, so I'm just curious how it's worked out so far for you.
2012 - Year of the Lioness

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupid.
Scribe On Demand

Advertisement

Re: Repurposing

Postby Lee » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:02 pm

I'd be more concerned about getting penalized by Google for duplicate content than DMS coming after you. DMS has far, far, far too many irons in the fire burning to a crisp right now to worry about what you're doing with a few pieces of their billions upon billions of pieces of content.

Provided you don't have precisely duplicate content, you'll be fine. I've done it for quite a while (to my credit, the content was mine first, I just found similar titles and decided to write them to ensure that nobody else did it and got too close to what I had to begin with).
Obadiah: Tony Stark was able to build this in a Cave! With a box of scraps!
Engineer: I'm not Tony Stark.
Lee

Postby Scribe On Demand » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:17 pm

I'm taking the basic content and expanding upon it or rewriting it for an intelligent person to read. I've had others check the work to ensure it's not regurgitation let alone plagiarism and the consensus has been my content is much better. I know SEO and how Google works, so I'm confident I'll get search engine love.

My concern is more revenue. I've always written work for others and never produced my own site with ad revenue in mind. That part I'm still trying to figure out and get an idea of what is reasonable to expect, that kind of thing.

Scribe On Demand

Postby undercover » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:53 pm

Taking an old piece and rewriting it to improve it is fine, I would think. I have done this, but the article was completely rewritten. I've been know to use a plagiarism checker to make sure that similar paragraphs are not too similar.

Re: ad revenue, don't know where that is going to go. My blog has grown quickly for what it is, but the key with ad revenue is getting somebody to click an ad link. Blog Her, on the other hand, pays per impression. With 7,000 hits per month I made about $10 last month (a little less because I started in the end of September.)
undercover

Postby Scribe On Demand » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:02 pm

Thanks, Snoopy. That's good to know.

I have a couple specific advertisers interested in advertising on the site in addition to stuff like AdWords and the like. If I sign on the two advertisers for sidebar stuff, that's $100 a month right there and whatever I can get from the other programs. It should be interesting, but it's good to know about the impressions versus click-through. It's been so long since I've done any of the actual ad stuff myself that I feel a bit overwhelmed. :?

Scribe On Demand

Postby Lee » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:28 pm

I feel like I should point out, just on the off chance that you don't know, that you won't really start getting Google love until 6 or 8 months from now. That's just how Google rolls. Just keep producing steady, unique content and you'll climb in the SERPs.
Obadiah: Tony Stark was able to build this in a Cave! With a box of scraps!
Engineer: I'm not Tony Stark.
Lee

Return to Out of Demand