[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - The get out of DMS by 2012 thread

• Advertisement

The get out of DMS by 2012 thread

Encourage your fellow DSSers to move on ... or don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Re: The get out of DMS by 2012 thread

Postby JulianneHarte » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:54 pm

I started doing my own stuff first this week. It's not making me a ton of money, so I still have to do DMS, but at least the stuff that's really important to me in the long run is getting done daily. Unfortunately I run into problems like DMS crashes this afternoon, so now it looks like that won't get done either...
Check out http://ayearofbaking.blogspot.com, one woman's mission to bake every day for a year!
JulianneHarte

Advertisement

Postby Jack McCoy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:00 pm

Jack McCoy

Postby jekhyl » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:00 pm

Why? Because FUCK YOU, that's why.
jekhyl

Postby writer789 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:33 pm

(newbie here...)

Wow. I was actually writing down some ideas today for how I can do just what this thread says: "get out of DMS by 2012" earlier today.

I plan on taking a writing class in the spring, get moving on some of the ideas I have in my mind but haven't committed to paper b/c I've allowed myself to be consumed by the DS monster. Also, I'm going to get my DS work done in 3-4 days. That way, I have time free each week to work on landing private clients, getting some pitches together, etc. I've set up a HubPages account and I want to devote a few hours each week to publishing hubs. Maybe 5 hours per week next month (so I can watch the tutorials and brainstorm a list of at least 40-50 topics to start out with) but it's a start.

As I land some clients and start generating income from HubPages, I can reduce the DS workload incrementally until I'm done with them.

I know, technically DS is my client, but it's almost become like, they are my employer and I've gotta start moonlighting with other shit so that by the end of 2011 I can quit working for them.
writer789

Postby MsMoneyPenny » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:07 pm

My 2011 Plan:

Put up more blogs to create passive income

Write more content for blogs I already have & do more promotion of them

Finally start to use my Suite 101 account and put up at least 4 articles/week there

Apply for part time job outside of home before I go bat-shit crazy

Begin switch over so DMS shit is “filler” gig and not main one.

I love the idea of doing the “me” articles first and DMS ones only after my other projects are finished for the day or week. I hope to soon only use DMS money to fund my growing eBay habit. Heh.
MsMoneyPenny

Postby jekhyl » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:51 am

I'm bumping this shit.
Why? Because FUCK YOU, that's why.
jekhyl

Postby The Batman » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:43 am

Lots of good plans here. I hope everyone stays motivated and is in a position to leave DMS behind by this time next year.
"Wait, when is March Madness?" ~CE Cluebat
The Batman

Postby Page1News » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:53 am

bump
You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.
Page1News

Postby tetedanslesetoiles » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:14 pm

These are all good.

Firstly, I'd suggest people read "The Four Hour Work Week" by Tim Ferriss (I think that's his name?). While he doesn't necessarily offer solutions, he does offer viable options to make a full time income while working on stuff you enjoy.

For me well, I'm hoping a book sells this year. Otherwise, I'll be saving up writing for DMS for a bit and trying to generate passive income through other sources. I did Suite 101 for a while, but I never saw more than about $1 in income....plus I found it very annoying and limiting that I couldn't write in first person--especially when writing about televisions shows which are so much my personal opinion on the show. I'm also working on a couple of other business ventures, but have back-up stuff as well. I am hoping 2011 is the last year I have to ever write a DMS article.
tetedanslesetoiles

Postby Psycho_Insomniac » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:19 pm

My plan:

1. Nurture my own site by adding an entry to it at least 4 days a week.
2. Learn SEO and copywriting for the web to maximize earning potential.
3. Wean myself off DMS: reduce the amount I write for them.
4. Expand my content mill clientele.
5. Look for and apply to private clients at least once a week.
6. Work on my book and learn Scrivener inside and out.
7. Figure out how to concentrate with a toddler constantly underfoot during daylight hours.
Psycho_Insomniac

PreviousNext

Return to Out of Demand