[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - The get out of DMS by 2012 thread

• Advertisement

The get out of DMS by 2012 thread

Encourage your fellow DSSers to move on ... or don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Re: The get out of DMS by 2012 thread

Postby tetedanslesetoiles » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:25 pm

tetedanslesetoiles

Advertisement

Postby Psycho_Insomniac » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:30 pm

I fucking hate cold calling. It is the bane of my existence and I refuse to do it. I will look for Craigslist, internet ads, etc. I got a pretty good lead off of a google ad for an agency. We've been in contact. They like my writing but said I need to learn SEO and copywriting before they bring me on, so that's what I'm doing.

I'm so new to this web content writing, I'm really just flying blind.
Psycho_Insomniac

Postby Page1News » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:02 pm

I have picked up some great clients by approaching businesses that I already frequent. I do Web/graphic design stuff for my tanning salon, have redesigned menus for some nearby restaurants and have created holiday cards for a local boutique shop. It's better than calling random businesses from the Yellow Pages. :)
You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.
Page1News

Postby JulianneHarte » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:12 pm

Check out http://ayearofbaking.blogspot.com, one woman's mission to bake every day for a year!
JulianneHarte

Postby queenoffckall » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:16 pm

queenoffckall

Postby yes_that_anne » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:37 pm

yes_that_anne

Postby CuzISaidSo » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:28 am

I just started off by updating my resume and applying to The Writers Network that was linked in another thread.

Other things I will do this year:
- Start investing more time in other sites I joined a long time ago and never used, like Seed and Constant Content.
- Query to get private clients, at least one per week.
- Put more articles on revenue sharing websites I signed up with, but again, never use much.

To the person that mentioned working with a toddler: give them things they can do independently that will 1.) not require your help, 2.) not fuck up your house while you're working, if they happen to slip out of view.

Examples: play-doh is great (give them a mat if you have carpet), coloring books (only use with crayons, NOT markers), wipe-off activity books for older toddlers, kid DVDs (I'm not ashamed to use them), play food/play kitchens (I made my son felt play food and he has a little grill).

If you have a boy, try making or buying him a car mat. I made my son one and he plays with that thing long enough to allow me to write a few articles. Pretty good for some felt glued onto an old pillowcase.
CuzISaidSo

Postby Psycho_Insomniac » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:23 am

Psycho_Insomniac

Postby partygirl » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:46 pm

In 2011 I plan to:

1. Learn SEO, how to research keywords, and how to decipher the data from keyword research. Of all the items on my list, for me this will be the most difficult. I am not a computer or numbers person. Anyone with suggestions please chime in.

2. Put up two new Hubpages per month.

3. Figure out how to claim articles from the dang BrightHub website (I am approved but never bother going there anymore because it always says there are no assignments for me. I think I'm doing something majorly wrong when it comes to signing in or something.)

4. Contact Break Studios about my login. I am approved there, too, but also never bother going there because my login/password/username have never worked right.

5. Check Seed twice per week. Another opportunity I tend to blow off because they don't usually have many assignments that apply to me. But I should at least be checking in regularly so I don't miss anything.

4. Write and submit two articles to our tiny little community paper. Unpaid, but that's OK at this point.

5. Contact the upscale magazine in my area that ran a gorgeous, multi-page, full-color fashion spread that inexplicably featured copy that seemed to have been written by a seven-year-old.

6. Research other content writing opportunities.

7. Contact some graphic designers in my area to let them know about my availablilty.

8. Place three items for sale on ebay each week, and learn more about how to get the most money for my items while paying the least to ship them out.
partygirl

Postby Psycho_Insomniac » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:59 am

So, which is better, HubPages or Suite101?
Psycho_Insomniac

PreviousNext

Return to Out of Demand