[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Mahalo job transcribing YouTube videos?

• Advertisement

Mahalo job transcribing YouTube videos?

mahalo.com

Mahalo job transcribing YouTube videos?

Postby SEO Speedwagon » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:53 pm

SEO Speedwagon

Advertisement

Re: Mahalo job transcribing YouTube videos?

Postby Tink » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:15 pm

So, you didn't transcribe the video, you wrote an original article based on the information in the video. Right?

ChaCha is a mobile question service - people text questions in and ChaCha texts the answers back. So, Mahalo is not like ChaCha, unless they're into mobile, but I don't think they are. I think the only other mobile service is kgb.

So, you're saying you signed up as a Mahalo guide?

I recently submitted an app for the Q & A Guru position. I'm going to apply to be a guide as soon as I get a chance.
Tink

Postby Tink » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:21 pm

Oh, to answer your question -- the Guide position at Mahalo is not something brand, spanking new, but I really don't know how long it's been around.
Tink

Postby SEO Speedwagon » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:28 pm

No, what I wrote had to come directly from the video. It didn't say anything about being a Mahalo guide. And I know what ChaCha is -- what I was referencing was the short answers for pennies on the dollar pay aspect of Mahalo.
SEO Speedwagon

Postby Tink » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:32 pm

That's odd, because the listing says "Content should be based on the video, but does not need to solely be information from the video if you are lacking for words. Any information from outside sources must be cited at the bottom of the page."

Welp, whatever dude. Glad you got the gig. I'ma apply as soon as I get my website in order. When I applied for the Q&A Guru, I noticed a optional spot to put your website, but I need to fix mine, so I let it go. I wanna put that in for the Guide position.

So, what's the pay like for this transcription job you got?
Tink

Postby fuckermcfucksticks » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:11 pm

Yeah, Mahalo recently flipped themselves into a legit writing source. The pay is still kinda low ($1.00 - $1.25) per answer, but they are very lax on their guidelines and are a pleasure to work for.

This section you are talking about must be brand new. They are constantly adding new stuff now and will soon be a legit source for full-time money IMHO.
I am really not a dick... I just play one on DSS.
fuckermcfucksticks

Postby WriterOfSpam » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:28 am

This sounds like writing your article based on the topic of the video and following the steps the video gave or something close, correct? If so, it's not actually 'transcribing' because you'd be typing out exactly what's said on the video and there's no original content or references needed. I'd MUCH rather do that than transcribe videos! I've heard of Mahalo but never really looked at it. Thanks for the heads up!
“That’s not writing, that’s typing.” - Truman Capote
WriterOfSpam

Postby SEO Speedwagon » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:49 am

Yeah, stupid title that I put there -- it was just summarization of videos, not transcription.

I e-signed the papers today and will let you guys know how things look once I get to see the inside of the operation.
SEO Speedwagon

Postby WriterOfSpam » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:33 am

“That’s not writing, that’s typing.” - Truman Capote
WriterOfSpam

Postby SEO Speedwagon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:36 pm

So far, this is not going so well, guys. I can't get over how unorganized and unprofessional their format is. A few observations:

1. You have to go on a massive, hideously clunky Google doc to claim an article title. My browser hangs and crashes constantly trying to deal with the thousands of anonymous users logging in to view the document.

2. They've dropped Firefox support and now only support Chrome for their article entry interface. I'm sure Chrome is a great browser and all, but it's used by a minority and is specifically not available to people who are still using PowerPC-based Macs (like me).

3. I randomly get these listserv-type emails out of nowhere but never asked or agreed to be subscribed to any sort of mailing list.

4. I can't get simple questions answered about pen name usage, email address privacy, or payment policies, and no one can direct me to any sort of comprehensive policy documentation about these issues. In fact, I don't have access to any sort of writer's desk or dashboard or whatever the fuck that would just put things in one place and let me manage my dealings appropriately. I guess they expect you to write articles and let your name and email address get plastered wherever they want, but I'm not cool with this.

Is this the way that all of Mahalo operates, or just this new how-to video section? I can't believe they've survived this long if so.
SEO Speedwagon

Next

Return to Mahalo