[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Passive Income

• Advertisement

Passive Income

Revenue Share / Passive Income ... or make money while you sleep.

Re: Passive Income

Postby Ducky » Wed May 11, 2011 8:58 pm

Ducky

Advertisement

Postby berg » Wed May 11, 2011 9:23 pm

I've used Hostgator for several years with only minor problems that a quick ticket solved. I also like that you can actually get tech support on the phone or through the website 24/7. They are quick to help and provide enough resources. You can also move to dedicated servers when the time is right. I didn't post this before because I wasn't sure if that was allowed, but there it is.

Inmotion also seems to be pretty good, but they won't let you run PHP 3.3 on a shared server. This might be an issue depending on what you want to run on your server.

Before I switched to Hostgator I was moving every 6 months. I've probably been through 10 different hosts, some of them didn't even make it a month before I started having problems. There are just so many bad hosts to choose from. When I finally found Hostgator I stayed with them. There may be better ones out there, but my site runs fast and my applications run smoothly.

I'm not trying to promote either company. This is just my personal experience.
berg

Postby EnigmaticJack » Wed May 11, 2011 9:26 pm

'Guys and girls, beware, the berg has warned you.'

Rule number one: The Doctor lies.
EnigmaticJack

Postby berg » Wed May 11, 2011 10:04 pm

berg

Postby Ducky » Wed May 11, 2011 11:07 pm

Awesome. Thanks for sharing. I feel a little bit better about this project now because I was actually strongly considering Hostgator from the research I'd done on hosting. So I think I'll go with them.

There's so much to learn about all of this, which is why I've taken so long to get started, but I really want to start building up at least a bit of passive income so that between that and private clients I can get out of the content mill game for good. I've dabbled in so much other techie stuff that I don't know why the website stuff intimidates me so much, but it does. :?
Ducky

Postby berg » Thu May 12, 2011 12:17 am

I find that the organization of material is the hardest part. Just write from your experience to ensure it is unique content. Oh, and use webmaster tools from Google. I think it is http://www.google.com/webmaster. Upload a sitemap, there are many ways to do that, to make sure you are getting the links listed in search engines. If you find some of the articles aren't getting listed after a few months then look at the links not included. See if you can add more content or improve the old content. If google lists 7 out of 10 of your links then there is something about 3 of the links that google feels is duplicate or repetitive or low quality.

I'm not an expert on this, I am just speaking from years of troubleshooting and trial and error. Usually when I add a few paragraphs to an article that google isn't linking, they include it next time around.

I'm also drunk right now, so I hope this makes sense...
berg

Postby Ducky » Thu May 12, 2011 1:16 pm

Thanks, berg. That definitely helps. I've been reading about getting these sites going on and off for about a year now. Probably just time I take the plunge and start trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. I tend to be a perfectionist, so I try to learn everything I can BEFORE I do something, but I suspect it's time to knock it off with that and just do something since it seems everyone's experiences with passive income are different. I plan on just starting with AdWords and then possibly adding in a couple of affiliate programs as time goes on.

I know there are people who make a shit ton with niche sites and blogs out the wazoo, and that's great. If it ends up building to that for me, awesome. But I'm not looking to get rich here. Just looking to build up a small network of sites along with a couple of ebooks that can eventually bring me a total of $1-2k/month, which seems doable from what I've read.
Ducky

Postby givethemyourworst » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:19 pm

givethemyourworst

Previous

Return to Residual Income