[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Some tips....

• Advertisement

Some tips....

Everything else about freelancing

Re: Some tips....

Postby BurnCEs » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:12 pm

BurnCEs

Advertisement

Postby YouGetMeDown » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:17 pm

Hah, you guys are full of excellent ideas!!

The other annoying part of the whole thing... is that I'm American, so people always think they can fleece me. In every place I've worked over here and all the people I've met (except my husband, who is at Cambridge), I am more qualified and generally.... well, smarter and harder working. I dunno if you guys know this about Europeans but ((generally)) they hate work. Or people here think that "writing" isn't work. It's a fucking job to be creative on command. My best ideas come to me 1. in the shower or 2. on the toilet. I'm sure you can all relate.

Also, I look very young for being in my late 20's and I'm pretty sure everyone thinks I'm about 21 and fresh of the mofo-ing boat.

I know all about yknow, dressing for the part in terms of who the client is... but I always feel like they think they can cheat me somehow because of those two things.
YouGetMeDown

Postby visserthree » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:28 pm

I suggest you also think about it in terms of how much value you add. I often feel funny asking for high prices, and I think I get in my own way a bit because of that. "$200 for a "why us" page?" I ask myself, "I'll finish that in an hour!"

But it's not about time. It's about value. The example above was for an accountant's website. If one single person reads that $200 piece of writing and hires my client because of it, then the overwhelming odds are that he's made his money back. So, don't be afraid. Once you think of your work in terms of value rather than time, your high prices won't seem that high.
visserthree

Postby YouGetMeDown » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:23 pm

So I went to the meeting. It went fine... although it was a fucking odyssey to get to ((outside of Cambridge and therefore nearly impossible, had to hang around a podunk shit town for nearly 2 hours for a 30 min meeting because of the bus times -- this is Europe, I don't drive.)) So whoever suggested (Nuh-Uh?? was it you) that you have one free meeting and the others are $$, you are ABSOLUTELY right! All in all, I was out of the "office" from 12pm - 5pm.... I lost a TON of time.

The project was kinda neat...still in the early stages and matched my experience... (writing education web games for kids) but when they asked for a sample I was like "um... sure." Not thrilled. Not that I am hot shit or something, but just that I have been published on both side of the pond, in the past, my work has been very widely distributed... so for doing this full-time only since last August ((not very long...)) I think I'm doing pretty freakin well. Fair amount of exposure in editorial, which is what I want, in a very short space of time.

After taking a more detailed look at the project, I decided that it's not for me and especially not for a base pay of $24/hour. I can make more on the DMS titty and it doesn't take as much brain power.

Ugh... I think I made the right choice, but I'm having a G&T at 4:30 in the afternoon just in case.
YouGetMeDown

Postby Crackity Jones » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:02 pm

YouGetMeDown, I wouldn't take it too personally that they asked for a sample. I'm betting it's routine, so don't sweat it.

Sorry I didn't spot this before you went for the interview but might come in handy for you in the future. It's the NUJ's collated self-reported rates for a shitload of assignments, so if you're not aware of it, check it out. Might not be any use for this project but just wanted to give you a headsup for the future if you haven't seen it.
Crackity Jones

Postby YouGetMeDown » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:16 pm

Thanks for this, Jones. I'd turned this one down.. part of the reason I wanted to pursue writing on my own was so I had the chance to say "no" if it didn't feel right.

I just nicely said I wasn't prepared to be involved with their project at this stage of the development. Meaning... in short, the idea was good but the execution I saw was absolute shit. The site made NO sense at all and the graphics and programming looked kinda amateurish. The idea of what they are doing is great, but they probably won't make it really big until they get new management in.

I also don't mind giving a sample if it's to kinda test like, house style, but I gave them a pretty big portfolio of work... short of following up on my references that I was indeed a teacher and therefore well-suited to write content for children, I felt a little like it was one of those "are you a stupid American?" tests of whether or not they wanted to play with me. Just kind of annoying that they had no problem asking for THAT much of my time (the meeting AND the sample) for free.

Sometimes you have to know when to say no.... Ahh well.
YouGetMeDown

Postby Crackity Jones » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:35 pm

Crackity Jones

Postby Natch » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:41 pm

Oh, you mean they wanted you to write an original sample for them?

I'd be wary of that, too. I thought at first you meant they wanted to see an already published sample. Doesn't sound like they valued you enough, or they wouldn't have expected so much for so little -- investing hours in meet-ups and then doing trial work for free, only to end up with $24 an hour.
"It's a naive domestic Burgundy without any breeding, but I think you'll be amused by its presumption."
Natch

Postby YouGetMeDown » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:59 pm

Yeah, exactly... I always provide tons of samples (of previously published work) and I've always been hired for everything I've gone for, too... So it was just that these people were a bunch of toolboxes.

I prefer doing things just over the Internet so then they never find out I'm American! Once they find out they just assume you're an idiot and try to act all superior. Drives me mental.
YouGetMeDown

Postby Crackity Jones » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:16 pm

Crackity Jones

PreviousNext

Return to Freelance Writing Misc.