[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Using Your/Friend's Site as a Reference: Tips

• Advertisement

Using Your/Friend's Site as a Reference: Tips

Everything else about freelancing

Using Your/Friend's Site as a Reference: Tips

Postby i_smell » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:29 pm

(Placed in the appropriate category to avoid being called a shithead AND to hide this info from casual zombie lurkers. (Actually, I have pretty thick skin and names don't bother me. But zombies do))

Here are my secrets for getting CEs to approve articles in which one of mine or a friend's cite is used as a reference.

1) Make the site look as unbloglike as possible. If it's built on a blogging platform, set it to one post per page and remove the "powered by wordpress" or whatever thingies at the bottom. Remove the date and time stamps too. It goes without saying that your site has to be on a domain that you own, no blogspot or wordpress.com stuff.

2.1) Remove all ads and affiliate links from within the text body. Anything that makes you money has to go on the side. You don't have to apply this sitewide, just the page you want to link to. You can change it after the article is approved.

2.2) If you can remove the comments from the particular article you are linking to, do it. You can always re-enable the comments after the article is approved.

3.1) IMPORTANT: Make your Contact/About pages as professional as possible, include fake degrees and pad your experience if necessary. Don't talk about your cats. (Cats ok if cat-themed site) I once attempted to use the website of a friend who is an expert in his field, but the CE removed it citing that the About page did not indicate that my friend had any expertise. The CE was right, his bio was too cutesy and corny.

3.2) Don't use the same name on your site and DMS.

4) SNEAKY PRO TIP: Create a page on your website that specifically address the topic you are writing about. Make obvious headings and subheadings that contain keyword phrases from the title you are writing. Say you grab the eHow title "How to Roll Boogers with One Finger" and your website is about finger calisthenics. Write an article for your site that addresses booger rolling or add a section to an existing article.

5) SUPER IMPORTANT: Include .gov,.edu, or company website references, the more the merrier and the less likely the CE will make you redo the sources. Never use yours or a friend's site as the sole reference.

Maybe a 6th tip, don't over do it. They might get wise to a pattern and send you the termination email.

DMS doesn't trust us to write with authority, using our own expert knowledge and experience, well, FUCK YOU DMS AND THANKS FOR THE BACKLINK. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attn Co-Authors:

That is all.
i_smell

Advertisement

Re: Using Your/Friend's Site as a Reference: Tips

Postby Natch » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:19 pm

EHow links are "nofollow," so they wouldn't be much use to you as a backlink unless someone actually clicked on it. Certainly won't do shit for SEO. There was a big outcry about this a couple of months back.
"It's a naive domestic Burgundy without any breeding, but I think you'll be amused by its presumption."
Natch

Postby i_smell » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:55 pm

Attn Co-Authors:

That is all.
i_smell

Postby Natch » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:09 pm

Just assumed you were talking about the SEO value, as in my experience that's usually what people are concerned with when they talk about building up backlinks.
"It's a naive domestic Burgundy without any breeding, but I think you'll be amused by its presumption."
Natch

Postby DMSZombieNoMore » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Better half and I have a little website. It is where I used to post all my abandoned and rejected articles. For kicks, did an eHow search last week for links to our website. Turns out that there were over 40 (and yes, it is a dot com, but we don't sell anything). 35 of those links were to abandoned or rejected articles from Demand. I found that very funny - not good enough for the Demand CEs as an article, but fine and dandy as a reference. :lol:

Oh, and looking at the stats for our site, lots of eHow visitors click on the reference links. And then will click on Google ads or InfoLinks while on our pages.
DMSZombieNoMore

Postby pinkelephant » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:21 am

DMS ZNM,
I actually experience the same thing. I linked my WCP articles to similar topics I had wrote elsewhere and I receive about 5% of my traffic from eHow. eHow visitors are click happy according to Analytics. Every little bit helps :)
pinkelephant

Return to Freelance Writing Misc.