• Advertisement

Covering shows

Everything else about freelancing

Covering shows

Postby wordmercenary » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:14 am

Anyone have advice on the best approaches to covering shows and conventions? I'm going to be covering a CeBIT-like show over a course of three days next month. I've always sucked at covering shows and seem to miss the most important stuff. Anyone have experience and a strategy for covering something like CES or Comic-Con?
For the love of money
wordmercenary

Advertisement

Re: Covering shows

Postby Peaches » Sun May 01, 2011 12:11 pm

Bring a little note pad to jot down thoughts or info from quickie on the spot interviews. Remember that you can flesh out a lot using research from after the show.

Don’t spend too much time taking notes though. Enjoy yourself and experience everything the event has to offer. Your readers will appreciate vibrant accounts of your adventures more than dry observations.
“It is not whether you win or lose, it is whether or not you get totally stoked.” -Sun Tzu
Peaches

Postby BurnCEs » Sun May 01, 2011 12:35 pm

It's usually impossible to cover big events properly single-handed. Chum up with a couple of other solo journos in the bar, press center, or wherever, as soon as you arrive, and arrange to cover off the big stuff between you and swap notes when events clash. It you're a one-man band, it's the only way to make sure you get all the important stories in the can on time. It also means you get time to enjoy the thing.
BurnCEs

Postby Tink » Sun May 01, 2011 12:54 pm

Do you have an iPhone? If so, did you hear about that app called "Color?" Check it out. You find people who are at the same place you are, and share pictures and comments with them. It's a way to get someone else's input on something you are attending where it might be too large to see it all. This might come in handy for you, as you might see something this way that you might have missed,or you might see something that you still have time to check out before you leave.
Tink

Postby wordmercenary » Fri May 13, 2011 2:25 am

Good tips, all. I covered the show on Wednesday and decided I had enough to skip the last two days :D
For the love of money
wordmercenary

Return to Freelance Writing Misc.