[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Dragon Naturally Speaking

• Advertisement

Dragon Naturally Speaking

Everything else about freelancing

Dragon Naturally Speaking

Postby The Doubtful Guest » Wed May 04, 2011 8:48 pm

I am curious as to whether anyone has used this product and is it quite useful in increasing one's production rate?

Yes, I am mute, but that is a moot point here.
The Doubtful Guest

Advertisement

Re: Dragon Naturally Speaking

Postby EnigmaticJack » Thu May 05, 2011 1:59 am

I haven't used it, but know people who have. It's decent, not omigawd amazing like some people claim but it's not bad. Definitely one of the best voice transcription programs out there. If you try it out make sure to get a good mic, preferably a little boom mic on some headphones or something like that. Also do any training available in the program to help it to understand you and to help you understand how to use it.
'Guys and girls, beware, the berg has warned you.'

Rule number one: The Doctor lies.
EnigmaticJack

Postby princess of males » Thu May 05, 2011 2:25 am

Step 1: Turn on your computer
Step 2: Download the "Dragon Naturally Speaking" software.
Step 3: Follow the manufacturer's instructions
Step 4: Click "Next"
Step 5: Allow time for the software to mature.
Step 6: Close the computer

Tip: Do not attempt to do it.

Comment to Editor: I love the way you have thrown back like 20 of my articles in the past two months with the same nonsense requests, please do so now as well. Good Luck! Have a wonderful day! Thanks.

CE Comment: Hi Princess, I love your article, it is very clear and the steps are easy to follow. However I do not think you are specific enough in step 1. How do you turn the computer on? Which button do you press? Is there a button at all? Doesn't the computer recognize speech already? Please review and make it easier to understand for readers who have no prior knowledge of the subject. Thanks and Good Luck. Trish
princess of males

Postby The Doubtful Guest » Fri May 06, 2011 6:22 pm

The Doubtful Guest

Postby Ducky » Tue May 10, 2011 9:31 pm

I use it when I have to spend the day in bed due to medical problems. It works very well if you spend the time training it, but that really does require several hours. I don't find it to be any faster than typing for me personally, but I know others do. I type pretty fast (80 - 100 wpm on average), and I find that when I'm typing it helps me think my way through the article. It's much harder for me to push the words out when I'm speaking than it is when I'm typing, but that's a personal thing.

I suggest at least trying it out. If you're going the legal route, hit up eBay. You can get really great prices on it there. And I second Jack about the good mic. I had a shitty headset when I first started using it, and it was difficult. Upgraded to a really nice gaming headset, and I see a huge difference.
Ducky

Postby EnigmaticJack » Tue May 10, 2011 11:12 pm

EnigmaticJack

Postby balls-r-us » Sun May 15, 2011 11:22 am

You need a high-quality microphone, as others have said, and I don't think it's productive. I have used the software and find that it only slows me down. I keep thinking about what I'm going to say next instead of just talking, since I need to talk like I write, if I don't want to go back and correct a ton of things. The other thing slowing me down is that I type almost as fast as my thoughts flow (approx. 60wpm). I guess it would be a good software if you're one of those people who doesn't use more than two fingers in both hands to type, or perhaps I'm a hopeless newb who doesn't know the secret to working quickly on Dragon. Maybe someone can shed some light on that?
I iz a riter. I can haz $15? Tank you!
balls-r-us

Postby EnigmaticJack » Sun May 15, 2011 5:00 pm

EnigmaticJack

Postby imnotaslave » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:03 pm

I've bought it twice, and never used it. Stupid, right? First time, someone was selling it for $15, so I thought "why not?" That was version 9 something, and it couldn't understand my accent. I just bought version 10 for like $30 with the headset and I set it up, but haven't trained it. I did notice it has several dialectic choices now, like "Southern U.S. English," like everyone who lives in the Southern U.S. talks just alike. These dudes have evidently never been to much of the south, or probably even the north. I didn't see one for New England English or Maine English or N. Dakota English. Guess that's too much to ask.

But I am getting off track. I bought it for when my fibro flares up and I can't type all day.
imnotaslave

Return to Freelance Writing Misc.