[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Asshole Clients

• Advertisement

Asshole Clients

Everything else about freelancing

Asshole Clients

Postby truthagainst » Wed May 18, 2011 1:03 pm

I have a client who I'm seriously considering "firing." He's waited until everything was 98% done to talk to a "consultant" who is telling him all this shit in my work that he would change. Now he wants me to fucking change everything, and he's dragging his ass on paying me for the work already done.

I took this guy on before I drew up my latest contract, which states things like how long you can take to send me shit and requires sign-offs on approved work so nobody can ask me for big changes two months later. He has literally been my case study in shit to put in a rock-solid contract.

The thing is, I want to see this done, but now I know why so many assholes complain they lost their contractor at the final stages. Because they drove the poor fuckers off.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, since I'm actually not talking about a writing assignment. I'm creating a WordPress site for this fuckwad. It's beautiful and shiny and does about a $1,000 more than what he's paying me for, by my estimation. Shit head.
"You see, I have this little policy about honesty and ass-kicking, which is, if you ask for it, then I have to let you have it." - Taylor Mali
truthagainst

Location: That place where Louis CK says people just stand out on their porches and look depressed.

Advertisement

Re: Asshole Clients

Postby Nuh-uh » Thu May 19, 2011 11:01 am

Sometimes it's better for you to walk away - writing or web design, or any other type of contracting.

You did what you agreed upon, yes? Is there a late fee in your contract? (if not, add that with the next revision!)

A nice, respectful email telling him that like him, you're a business owner and need to be paid in full for work completed should be a good start. If he balks, tell him to piss off (only nicely, naturally). If he wants to talk about you changing things, let him know that the scope of the work has changed and you'll need to revamp your contract with him. At that point, send him the newest one and ask to speak directly with both him and the consultant at the same time so you have a precise picture of what he wants.

Just what I'd do.
Nuh-uh

Postby truthagainst » Thu May 19, 2011 11:44 am

"You see, I have this little policy about honesty and ass-kicking, which is, if you ask for it, then I have to let you have it." - Taylor Mali
truthagainst

Location: That place where Louis CK says people just stand out on their porches and look depressed.

Postby pinkelephant » Tue May 24, 2011 8:15 am

Truthagainst,
I don't know if I will be much help in this area. I don't know squat about working in web design, but I am wondering if you can "repo" your work when a client doesn't pay? If the client becomes such a pita that your giving yourself ulcers its probably a good idea to just get out. If there is a way to revert the site back to its previous state, or the last known state for which he paid you for I would consider it.

People like that piss me off because they figure they get to keep the work you've done without paying if the contract ends on a disagreement. I give you props for being able to deal with it. Web design is a completely different animal than article writing, but I have to wonder if there is a way to protect yourself. (other than the contract) My clients are good, I write and they pay, but I got them through their web designer so nothing goes live for them until I am paid. I know not a damn bit of this helps, but I hope it works out for you in the end.
pinkelephant

Postby truthagainst » Sat May 28, 2011 1:50 am

Well, I gots my money, after a couple messages and then finally a threat. It's funny because usually people just give their designers a ton of access to their accounts and don't even change the passwords. I've gone so far as to try and help them not to do that, but the usual response is "Herp derp, I'm lazy." So potentially I could have a ton of fun, though I won't. Oh and some guys (smarter than myself) write code to trash the site after so many days as a bit of insurance.

So yeah, after my threat of not working until paid and you have five days to get content to me then you're cut off, fucker, a few days later I get "oh no I didn't see it, you seem upset." LOL not sure if trolling or just stupid.

The payment part wasn't so bad, but the "I'm talking to a consultant and he says blah blah blah" got me a bit unhinged. Stupid fuckers. I had a hipster shit head from Brooklyn pull something similar on me and I quit. This is why I ask for money after every milestone.

I actually might think about hiring a copy writer someday, though. I just read a thing about having the client pay you to subcontract it out can help with some of the headaches and make more money for everyone, so long as the writer you get isn't retarded and slow. But I'ma continue to rape DMS for awhile longer. It's less of a headache. :twisted:
truthagainst

Postby EnigmaticJack » Sat May 28, 2011 10:52 am

'Guys and girls, beware, the berg has warned you.'

Rule number one: The Doctor lies.
EnigmaticJack

Postby berg » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:26 pm

I now have an evaluation period with all new clients. Basically, it says something along the lines of, I'm a stupid bitch and I am picky about clients. But if you want to work with me, and why wouldn't you, I'm hot and do amazing work, then please understand their is an evaluation period. If I don't like you, I will stop work and keep the deposit. It has actually increased my clients. I'm not sure why, but I have a feeling it has something to do with the fact that people like to be dominated by hot women such as myself.
berg

Postby truthagainst » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:18 pm

truthagainst

Postby gob bluth » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:48 am

I'm bringing this thread back.

I finally for the first time ever declined a client after she was a complete asshole.

The response I got back: some work isn't for everyone.

This was after I politely declined because she asked too much for little pay.
I've worked with her a ton before and usually I can handle her shit.

This time was different. I figured out my hourly wage after she kept changing stuff and it was below minimum wage. Like 3rd world country low.

She's pissed and I know it but honestly, I don't care. She was just getting mean towards the end.

I feel a lot better. I will never do a job as a favor for someone again. It's insulting to me.
gob bluth

Postby truthagainst » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:17 pm

LOL, "some work isn't for everyone?" No one likes working for assholes who pay 3rd world wages, honey.

Here you go, you made me think of this comic: http://freelanceswitch.com/freelance-fr ... ns-finale/

You never *have* to work for anyone. People forget that "at will" employment cuts both ways. If a client costs you money and sanity, it's time to move on.
truthagainst

Next

Return to Freelance Writing Misc.