[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4664: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4666: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4667: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3780)
Demandstudiossucks.com • View topic - Pitch ideas

• Advertisement

Pitch ideas

Everything else about freelancing

Pitch ideas

Postby wordmercenary » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:02 am

Since this is becoming my de facto writer support forum, let me pose this question, my lovelies...

What are some tried and true methods to come up with pitch ideas when you're pitching a magazine editor for assignments?

I have written a lot over the last year, but notably, most of my assignments have been handed to me. I consider myself pretty un-creative when it comes to creating ideas to pitch. Especially when you venture outside my comfort zones of business and technology events.

How does the group here come up with article ideas?
For the love of money
wordmercenary

Advertisement

Re: Pitch ideas

Postby Crackity Jones » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:10 am

Crackity Jones

Postby truthagainst » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:17 pm

Some of the online mags I follow have a "write for us" page where they pretty much outline what they're looking for. I'd start looking at stuff like that. Plus if you know what's a hot topic in your expertise and you have an original spin, just write it and shop it around. Someone should pick it up.
"You see, I have this little policy about honesty and ass-kicking, which is, if you ask for it, then I have to let you have it." - Taylor Mali
truthagainst

Location: That place where Louis CK says people just stand out on their porches and look depressed.

Postby EnigmaticJack » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:15 pm

Read the mag, see what sort of stuff they generally publish (and get a feel for their 'voice') and write things that you know. Anything I pitch that isn't fiction typically comes from my life.
'Guys and girls, beware, the berg has warned you.'

Rule number one: The Doctor lies.
EnigmaticJack

Return to Freelance Writing Misc.